17 yr old high blood pressure
Within the last 3 months I have taken my son to the doctor for regular check up and steep throat, each time his bphas been higher than normal for him and "a little high" according to the doctor. He is 6'1, approx 180lbs, he has played hs football for the last 3 years and even wrestled for a few months this year. He's fairly active but like myself he has often complained of chest pains on & off throughout his childhood. His doctor is and has been aware of this but I'm beginning to be more concerned than usual not only because of family history of high bp from mine & his fathers side (my dads father, bro, & 1/2 bro dropped dead from sudden hear attacks before age 50) but 6 months ago I had to get a pacemaker due to Bradycardia but my trouble is low bp & low heart rate. We are to make another appt with pcp to look into this more. He could be more stressed than usual its his senior year in hs, he's been applying to different colleges, his father is looking at life in prison and life in general has been very stressful overall for him but his attitude us & always has been awesome, he appears to not let things bother him much. Any ideas what may be going on that might ease a concerned mothers mind??
what is his blood pressures running
137/68 was his bp. I didn't think that was high but they said it definitely was especially when compared to his history.
His history is approx 120/70 give or take a few numbers so I guess that is a jump of 17 points.
A little stress can easily make blood pressure jump up to that number. 137/68 isn't really high (it's actually in the normal range), but maybe you should ask his doctor for a 24 hour monitoring just to make sure his BP is fine?

Another alternative is to buy a home BP monitor and check his blood pressure when he is at home, relaxed. But again, 137 systolic isn't very high. Had it been 160s or above, it could be problematic. I can easily have BP in the 140s when stressed/anxious, normally I'm in the 105-110/65 range.