High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
172/110

A community of people with High Blood Pressure to guide and support you. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

172/110

I am 20 years old, not overweight, no smoking, drinking or drugs my whole life but I have severe anxiety and i've been to the ER twice this week and family doctor three times and all those times, its come up around those numbers. I was just from the ER and before the nurse discharged me, my blood pressure was 172/110 and she said, "That cannot be right."

So she took it again and sure enough, it was 171/110.

I want to live a healthy life and being that my BP is always high, i'm scared I am not going to life a full life with the chances being stroke, heart failure, and so on.

What is your input? What are some supplements that I could take to lower it? I am going to exercise daily now, few jogs here and there throughout the week but what are some natural ways to lower my  BP?

Thank you for your input, its appreciated!
First, a person with severe anxiety ending up in the ER will almost always have a high blood pressure. So, your blood pressure may not be as high as 170/110, but it's very important that you find out what your "real" blood pressure is, and if it's high, you may need treatment.

I would recommend buying a home BP monitor, or even better, get a 24 hour monitoring (as the "white coat" effect tends to go away after a couple of hours, you get used to the monitoring and your true BP is revealed).

If you have high blood pressure, a cause must be found. It's very uncommon for a healthy 20 y/o to have blood pressure in the 170s without a cause (except if you are very anxious). If no cause can be identified, it's not the end of the world to use BP meds. One or a couple of pills in exchange for a longer life and better life quality, any time in my opinion :)