High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
22yrs old abnormal EKG, high Bp (hypertension)

High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) is a reading of 140 (systolic) over 90 (diastolic), or higher and can often lead to heart disease and can often be made worse by high-salt diets. Discuss topics including good low-salt diets, heart disease and treatments.

I'm concerned I've had an EKG done at the doctors office and said it was abnormal and referred me to a cardiologist....im 22 yrs old and active I've had an EKG done a month ago and it was abnormal said showed thickness ( but he didn't seemed too concerned), I've had high Bp for a couple of months. Currently 160/85 resting...I'm visiting a doc this week to find a good Bp med for me and get this down hopefully...I had an echocardiogram, stress test, blood work done as well said all was good. He didn't prescribe me meds then cause he though my Bp was stress but I'm going back to tell him its not gone down. Should I be worried? Can I exercise like this? How long do I have to get this Bp down? Ps: very concerned thanks for reading hope for a reply!
You need to take a break from your blood pressure.

Your fear of high blood pressure is beginning to turn into an obsession, which is not good. You don't want to go there, believe me. I've been there.

High blood pressure is the perfect thing to obsess about. Because when you do, or when you measure your blood pressure, you are feeling anxious which will increase your blood pressure (normal response). Asking all those questions is not good for you because keeping your focus on this will do nothing for you except increasing your blood pressure (and fear).

Again: If your echo was normal, your heart muscle is not thickened. Adrenaline will increase the QRS amplitude on EKG and mimic a thickened heart muscle (left ventricular hypertrophy). Your blood pressure at rest is normal, and your 160/85 is caused by stress, according to your doctor. You are young and healthy and you will tolerate a blood pressure in this range during stress. We all experience that, but we do not measure our blood pressure at all times. My blood pressure is at almost 200 systolic many times a week (during exercise). Still, exercise is healthy.

What to do:
1. Let your doctor diagnose your blood pressure and treat it.
2. Never measure your blood pressure or heart rate unless your doctor tells you to do so. Or make a rule, check it every Sunday morning for a month, then twice a month, then monthly, etc.
3. Exercise as much as you want to, unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
4. Try to focus on something more healthy and productive than your blood pressure.
5. Seek treatment for your anxiety/obsessive thoughts

Good luck!

Your right, my heart echo showed a small leaky valve he said was normal said they were common. That mine was small...my heart contracts better than normal all else was good said no actual thickening like the EKG showed. Nurse took my blood pressure there on a manual Bp monitor it was 130/80 she only took it once he's continuing me on the thiazides..what's weird Is my Bp is higher at other clinics and at home on the electric monitors then there on the manual one?? But I'll try for once a week like the doctor said I'm just concerned and I guess I have let it get the best of me. He said if the anything abnormal showed up on the echo he would of referred me to a cardiologist for further evaluation. So thanks I guess I am worried do u kno anything about the valve having a small leak?