High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
Diagnosed with high BP at the age of 23

High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) is a reading of 140 (systolic) over 90 (diastolic), or higher and can often lead to heart disease and can often be made worse by high-salt diets. Discuss topics including good low-salt diets, heart disease and treatments.

Diagnosed with high BP at the age of 23

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at the age of 23, My father's cardiologist said I have "refractory hypertension" as my BP got very high occasionally, he said if I don't take my medicine it can become fixed hypertensionb. He said I should take propranolol 20 mg thrice a day for it. The Associate professor of medicine in our
Hospital says I do not necessarily need to take propranolol and I can control my BP with exercise and diet control with salt and fat restriction. My concern is that I was diagnosed so early, what type of lifestyle changes can reduce my need for medicine?Should I play sports like every one else or could it be dangerous to exert a lot if you have hypertension, can I keep pursuing my passion for athletics? Thanks
Tags: High BP, age
Well, first I think it's strange to prescribe beta blockers in general, and especially propranolol, for hypertension in a young athlete. There are lots of BP meds that do NOT affect your exercise capacity and condition the way beta blockers do. Also, they are not the most effective meds to treat high BP. But I'm not a doctor, and there can be reasons that we are not aware of, so do NOT change this without asking the doctor first!!!

How high is your BP? Is the diagnosis verified by 24 hours measuring or is it just a little high at the doctors office?

In general, exercise is definitely recommended to lower blood pressure. An exception is if your BP is VERY high, then it must be lowered before starting to exercise. Very high in this setting is 180/110 and above. Also, your doctor did tell you to exercise, so I really doubt it should be a problem.