Help?

Yesterday I experienced a rather scary episode.  While laughing hard I found myself almost passing out.  It scared the hell out of me.  My hypochondriac nature immediately started researching this and I found a condition that seems spot on.  Neurocardiogenic Syncope.  What I am unable to ascertain is whether this is something I should run to the ER to have checked out or whether this is something I can chalk up to an isolated incident.  I am 41 years old, slightly overweight.  On blood pressure medicine (ACE and Calcium Channel Blocker) and have been diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse.  That aside, I think I am an otherwise healthy guy. So I have been told anyways.  Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Captain
How are you? Syncope  is a symptom (not a disease) and can be classified according to the cause. The most common is neurocardiogenic syncope or vasovagal syncope), which is a benign condition characterized by a self limited episode of systemic hypotension.  However, it is recommended that you have this checked by your doctor to rule out differentials such as carotid sinus hypersensitivity and orthostatic hypotension. The distinction between neurocardiogenic syncope and other causes of fainting is important because the prognosis and treatment are different. Hope this helps. Take care and do keep us posted.