High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
High BP low Pulse rate

A community of people with High Blood Pressure to guide and support your journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, exercise, and treatment.

High BP low Pulse rate

This morning my bp was 208/109 pulse 68. Yesterday it was 172/104 pulse 60.The lowest bp reading yesterday was 140/90 pulse 64. I take 2 medications daily, Ramipril   10mg per day, Atenolol    50mg per day. I also take thyroxine 200 micrograms per day. I had a TT in April and radioactive iodine treatment for thyroid cancer in July. I have really bad fluid retention. I wake with puffy legs and by the end of the day they are so puffed up that it is hard to walk and they ache. As of  October 1st I have started to walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes each day slowly. I am overweight, having put on 20 kilos in 12 months. I have a healthy diet. Is a high bp and low pulse bad combined with the fluid retention?
Welcome and thanks for your question. I am sorry to hear of your issues, however I don't think there is a connection between your low heart rate and high BP.  You are on two BP meds, a beta blocker to slow your heart rate (Atenolol) and an ACE inhibitor to relax your arteries and allow them to absorb each beat a little easier (Ramipril ). Do you know if your doctor has added a diuretic to these? If not, I would ask about one to help with the fluid retention.

Your heart rate is fine, no worries there. Normal is between 60 - 100 and the lower your heart rate is generally means the better condition your heart is in. Your fluid gain is most likely due to your thyroid meds, have you mentioned this to your doctor?

The best thing for your heart rate in addition to meds is exercise and weight loss which you are working on. Make sure your doctor is aware of your exercise routine and is OK with it. Keep this up and along with your meds your BP WILL come down.

I hope this helps,

Jon
Thank you so much for your reply. I used to take a diuretic as well in the past, but I stopped taking it when I started to have bladder leakage. Maybe I need to give it another try. I got my BP down two years ago, prior to my work place accident. I changed my diet....which I still do as it is a life change not a diet....and I lost 10 kilos. I was off work for a few months from my accident and I am now only doing three half days a week. My job was quite active and now I am sitting at a pc to work, so that is partly why the weight has gotten out of hand again. Hopefully I can exercise it off again and that my endocronologist can make sure the thyroid meds are ok.
Thanks again for getting back to me.
Caz in Tasmania