Investigate or not?
Both parents, and a number of other close relatives have had varying degrees of hypertension. I started having chest pain in 2006 and my BP was found to be 168/110.  It responded quite well to treatment but I was sent for
investigation.  I had an echocardiogram which showed definite, although slight, left ventricular hypertrophy, and it was felt that I must have been hypertensive for some time.   I had exercise ECGs and a radionuclide scan.  The result showed slight narrowing of the LAD, but it was considered insignificant and the pain had disappeared.  My BP remained between 130/84 and 145/95 and I was on lisinopril - increased to 20mg and diltiazem 120mg.
In 2011 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  I eat a healthy diet, although overweight (but losing), and it is well-controlled on Metformin.  However this, and the family history, mean that my BP should be consistently below 130/80, which it was not, and in June 2012 I started propranolol 40mg twice daily
A month ago I started to develop similar central chest pain, similar to that in 2006, although not radiating, worse on exertion, but sometimes present at rest.  My GP would like me to have further investigations.  The last two days I've resumed home BP monitoring and it seems to be consistently 166/100 or above.  Tonight the pain was severe enough to require GTN, which is very rare for me.  This relieved it instantly, which would point to angina, and I took my evening medication.  Before the GTN, my BP was 170/108, which is higher than it has been for over five years, although I am consistent in my medication.  Now it is still 163/93 and I think I will need my medication increased long-term.

You need to be seen by a cardiologist for further investigation. Your symptoms MAY be dangerous and it's not worth the risk, go get it checked out.

Jon