High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
Losartan 50mg Hctz 12.5mg good blood pressure medicine?

A community of people with High Blood Pressure to guide and support you. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I'm 22 just diagnosed with hypertension. My cardiologist prescribed me losartan today I was wondering if this is a good recommended Bp medicine mine runs typically 150-160/90-95. Thanks, hope I can get some input!
What is your heart rate like with your blood pressure you mentioned?  

Did the doctor also suggest any lifestyle changes to try to naturally reduce your blood pressure, particularly at your young adult age?
No just the mess and my heart rate is anywhere from low 50's to 70's
So, avoiding beta blockers is a plus with your pulse rate, and the losartan your doctor picked is in a different class of blood pressure lowering medication.  How's it working out so far?

Do you drink caffeine, eat a lot of chocolate, smoke, take pseudophedrine for allergies, have a lot of stress in your life?
No caffeine don't smoke or eat a lot of chocolate or junk food in rather healthy and active so it came at a surprise. I'm currently taking 1 losartan a day 50mg..my Bp is now in the 140-150 range it's still fluctuates higher and lower sometimes. Bottoms stay 70-85 it fluctuates right now too. I'm on the 4th day..I have been stressed lately about my health seems like slots going wrong all at once while I'm still young (22). Just hope I can get it down
Did they check on your kidney function in regards to your high blood pressure?  What about your cortisol?

How many days did they say it would take to get the losartan up to the most therapeutic levels in the body (or did they)?
They never said about the losartan ...but they did a test that showed my kidney function was normal. But cortisol would show up in my blood tests? Other than that I don't think they checked the cortisol..but we did stress test, echo, EKG, chest X-ray, and kindney urine test, and blood work
Yes, if they run the blood test for cortisol, it would.  Do you have copies of your blood work lab results to see if they ran that test?
Yes and I don't think we did tests for cortisol. What should I do
You might ask your doctor, given your young age, if cortisol could be a possible factor in your blood pressure and if so, would they be willing to order a lab test for a cortisol level?
How does cortisol effect it? I'm not familiar with cortisol.
I always recommend my patients try the DASH eating plan before starting meds. CE Grim MD So ask you team about this.
How does cortisol raise Bp? I'm not familiar with it
See private message.
when my blood pressure is at 110 I can feel the effect of medication lowering my normal 120 the 10 points as kind of abnormal, but I don't have HBP so maybe it's good for that.  I stopped taking losartan because I was almost fainting on it
I think these normal ranges are wrong that 110 is normal but it has also been proven in long term studies that hypertension is associated with heart disease