High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
Procardia XL 90 mg

High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) is a reading of 140 (systolic) over 90 (diastolic), or higher and can often lead to heart disease and can often be made worse by high-salt diets. Discuss topics including good low-salt diets, heart disease and treatments.

Procardia XL 90 mg

Hi I have some questions. Hopefully someone can help. 6 months ago I started having high BP. Long storie short I was put on procardia xl. Started at 60mg then the Dr. rased it to 120 mg. Was working fine for about 2 months. Then I started having a racing heart high pules in the 100s. Went to the ER. And they droped my dose to 90mg. I noticed I have been getting a lot of heart burn. And gas in my chest after I take these pills. Mood swings High pulse. I have complained to the Drs. But they told me to keep taking it. It is really furstating causeing me a lot of anxiety because I never had these problems intill I started taking these pills. Does anyone know if that sounds like the side efects to procardia xl. By the way my BP is always around the 130 over 80 mark since I have been taking 90mg.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? How is your blood pressure? Procardia xl or nifedipine may have side effects such as headache, dizziness, drowsiness, tired feeling, sleep problems, mild rash or itching, nausea, diarrhea, mild constipation or stomach pain. It can also cause more serious side effects such as fast heart rate, numbness and even chest pains which warrants immediate medical attention. If these symptoms persist, it is best that you have this evaluated by your doctor for proper management. Take care and do keep us posted.
Thank You for the response Dr. Sorry for the late response. After seeing a cardiologest. And running many test as in. Holter monitor, ect... Everything came back normal. Changed meds to lisinopril 10 mg but problem is it is working too good droping my BP at night to 105 over 75. So now my Dr. has put me on 5mg of lisinopril. Will wate and see. How that works.

Also I am a current smoker and am working on quitting. But does smoking and nifedipine cause fast heart rate?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for your update. It is good to hear that the diagnostic test results were normal. Decreasing the dose may indeed be the best thing to do at this point. However, continuous blood pressure monitoring is highly recommended. Medication side effect such as palpitation may resolve after discontinuing the medicine. Symptoms such as fast heart rate associated with other issues like smoking may be present prior intake of this specific medication and can be possibly ruled out. Aside from discontinuing smoking, diet modification and regular exercise also help. Take care and do keep us posted.
Dr. Thank you for everything.