High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
Pulmonary Hypertension?

High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) is a reading of 140 (systolic) over 90 (diastolic), or higher and can often lead to heart disease and can often be made worse by high-salt diets. Discuss topics including good low-salt diets, heart disease and treatments.

Pulmonary Hypertension?

Hi! I'm hoping to get some insight. About a week ago I started to get shortness of breath. It was mild on the first day but by the second day when I went to work there's a part in my commute where I have to walk 10 minutes and after that 10 minute walk I felt like I just completed a marathon. I was so out of breath I felt nauseous and like I was going to pass out. I am overweight but I do that walk everyday and never have a problem. I decided to go to the doctor. They did an EKG and it came back normal and sent me on my way. The next day I went back and saw my family doctor and he did a chest x-ray - normal. He prescribed me clonazepan (or clorazapan - can never remember how it's spelt) thinking it's anxiety) but I said, if it's anxiety why is worsened with exertion? That's when he booked me for an echo and bloodwork. I got it done and am still waiting for results. It takes a week to get the results back but while waiting things have gotten worse. I've got no energy, I'm tired all the time but when I lay down in bed I have bad pressure in my chest no matter what way I lay. I have no appetite. The most I can get down is a bowl of soup and if I eat anything heavy I just get really nauseous. I'm concerned it's pulmonary hypertension because my grandfather had it and this is all seeming too familiar. When he was going through it I read studies of genetic links that's why I'm concerned of these sudden onset of symptoms and the doctor's seem to think I'm crazy and it just furthers their belief that it's anxiety. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you

Amanda
All your symptoms can be explained by anxiety. Your doctor did the right thing to order a stress test to rule out heart disease. If you were able to complete the stress test, chances are it's normal. The fact that you are feeling worse could very well be due to your anxiety over the pending test results and all the what ifs running through your mind. If I could make one suggestion, stop reading about possible problems on the Internet. You will have the answer soon enough and I'm going to guess that your results will be fine. Until you get them, try to relax and stay off the Internet sites regarding heart disease. Pulmonary hypertension has many other symptoms that you do not mention like chest pain, cough and edema or a swelling in your extremities due to the build up of fluids which is the classic sign of pulmonary hypertension.

Again, try to stay calm and wait for your doctor gets back to you. Let us know what your results are and we can discuss that further.

Hope this helps,

Jon