High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
Pulse Pressure Significance
About This Community:

A community of people with High Blood Pressure to guide and support your journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, exercise, and treatment.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pulse Pressure Significance

Hi. I have been doing some reading around BP (mainly around BP variability) and came across a bunch of writings on the subject about pulse pressure and its signifiance on our health. From what I have read, mainly pubmd and uptodate, pulse pressure can be a good indicator of problems or healthy. They state that "normal" is 30-40mmhg usually going by the standard 120/80. Some have said its a better indicator of cardiac problems than just your normal bp readings in themselves. Where I get confused is some could have a healthy blood pressure readings and have a higher pulse pressure than someone that is pre-hyper or hyper.

So if you take someone that has a blood pressure avg of 140/100, technically they are 40 pulse pressure. Take some thats avg 115/60 thats a pulse pressure of 55

Also I read that if you have a really good diastolic reading but your systolic is far off varies from high low often then this is a marker.

Kinda weird but not sure I see where a good correlation is with it.

Any one more educated with this?
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Pulse pressure is really a hard concept to grasp and not really useful unless marked differences bring up questions.   For example-- a person with white coat anxiety can have a blood pressure of 180/90 = Pulse pressure of 90.  Where as somebody who just exercised (Systolic rises and diastolic falls slightly due to normal blood vessel dilation) will get a blood pressure of say 160/80 with a pulse pressure of 80.   Even at rest-- you can get high systolic (isolated systolic hypertension) due to secondary or again any type of anxiety you would expect to see pulse pressure between 50-80.   Most pulse pressure studies in healthy individuals will show an average of around 50 (not the 30-40) they typically believe.
Blank
5851092_tn?1404137064
Thanks Mark.

Makes more sense cause it seems two fold
Blank
Most pulse pressure studies are only concerned is the pressure is greater than 60.   Under 60 is considered normal unless diastolic drops below 60 with higher than 120 systolic.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Top Healthy Living Answerers
1236893_tn?1408490528
Blank
gymdandee
NJ
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Keep track of your blood pressure
Start Tracking Now