High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
Uncontrollable Hypertension

High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) is a reading of 140 (systolic) over 90 (diastolic), or higher and can often lead to heart disease and can often be made worse by high-salt diets. Discuss topics including good low-salt diets, heart disease and treatments.

Uncontrollable Hypertension

I have been battling hypertension for the past few years.  I just had an angioplasty with stent placement done, and was discharged from the hospital with a blood pressure of 200/124 - insane!  My physicans have tried so many different medications and nothing seems to work.  Any body have suggestions of where I go with this.
Hello.

I'm not an expert, but resistant hypertension (very high blood pressure despite treatment) often have a secondary reason. Reasons may be narrow arteries to the kidneys (quite common), hormonal disturbances like overproduction of adrenaline.

What is somewhat insane is that your physician discharged you from the hospital with a blood pressure this high.

My question is: How well are you examined for secondary causes for your hypertension?
I see from your other post that you were diagnosed with pheocromocytoma (as I described above). It's fairly common that the high blood pressure sustains after removing the tumor, but you should definitely see an endocrinologist about this, it seems unacceptable that you should have a blood pressure this high.

Of course, one thing doesn't rule out another, so I would still ask my doctor if my kidney arteries are examined, etc.

My kidney arteries were examined in the the angiogram because they suspected FMD, but they were clear.  yes it was insane that I was discharged from the hospital with a high blood pressure reading, fortunately I work for a medical clinic, called my pcp and she advised me on what to do and was flabergasted over what they done.  Sad, when you work for a facility (Ochsner) and can't even trust them.  I have been checked for other reasons of the elevation but everything negative.  I am on a low sodium diet, quit smoking, and trying to loose weight.  Just seems nothing is working and its making me depressed.  I'm on 600 mg of labetatol; 2 mg clinodine; 100 mg losarten; fish oil, 81 mg aspirin;  I'm just on the verge of giving up.  My pcp has tried, bystolic, diovan, lopressor - nothing works.  Some one mentioned an endocrinologist - I've never seen one, maybe that is a thought.  Thanks everyone for your comments
You are trying to find some help. Here is something natural you can do, to help the body control the blood pressure.This works gradually, so allow weeks to notice the benefit. After you are better, continue the pranayam, once a day.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 21  times
October 6 ,2011
I normally do not make comments or replies to posts but I felt that I really needed to respond to this one.

Thank you so very much hava.

I am male, non smoker and take very little alcohol.

I have been struggling with high blood pressure for a couple of years. My doctor cannot get it under control because either the meds do not control it or other meds cause adverse reactions to me that are worse than the high blood pressure.

I tried the Anulom Vilom pranayam as described in this post more in desperation than in belief because this morning my BP was 205/97 after taking my usual meds.

After my very first session of Anulom Vilom pranayam my reading was 144/89 and later after another session it was 154/74 which although is still a little high, it is far and away better than anything I have been able to achieve with medication.

You say that it takes a little time to work but it worked very quickly for me. I will be continuing to use this method and now at last feel light there may be some light at the end of the tunnel.

Once again, thank you so much for sharing this.

Martin
Martin , I am pleased to see that you benefited from anulom vilom in a short period. You will discover further benefits when you do all the the pranayams. Please continue pranayam for rest of life to stay healthy.