High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
Very High blood pressure very concerned

High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) is a reading of 140 (systolic) over 90 (diastolic), or higher and can often lead to heart disease and can often be made worse by high-salt diets. Discuss topics including good low-salt diets, heart disease and treatments.

Very High blood pressure very concerned

Ok I'm a 21 year old active male, I'm mixed Caucasian/African American. Recently I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure and been put on meds (hydrochloric thiazides) that I just started today. I've been stressing lately because of mild chest pains on the left side of my chest so I went to the ER they ran blood tests, ekg all were fine and I recently got a heart echo done the man who did it said everything looked normal but I gotta wait for the doctor to see it this weekend to hear remits from what he sees. Ive been checking my blood pressure at walmart and it has been running anywhere from 170/100 had a doctor visit yesterday took my Blood pressure on none electric bp machine it read 127/74 then i asked the doc could i walk down the hall and check it again, so I did he checked and it was 167/95...so he put me on those meds yesterday, and said I was able to resume daily activity just don't over work but with blood pressure this high I wonder. I stress and worry about this a lot even tho i try not to and today I started feeling weird in my head about 40 mins after i woke up like heaviness an pressure from my temples from back of my neck and top, idk if this is from anxiety of worrying or high blood pressure because my resting blood pressure was ok at the doctor I also have been having twitching between my eye brows on my forehead. Two days before I had twitching randomly all over.  iI have no insurance and dont know what to do doctor bills are pilling up on me.  But I also don't wanna pass out or die in my sleep from high Bp doing something to my head. PLEASE HELP! I'm scared, and need advice on this idk if I will be ok or not...thank you to everyone who reads this means so much.
High blood pressure is very unlikely to cause any symptoms. Symptoms like headache, chest discomfort, tinnitus, pressure from the temples, body pulsations, dizziness, etc. are very easy to attribute to a high blood pressure. They are classical symptoms of anxiety and stress, but of course, they can happen together with high blood pressure. They are not necessarily caused by high blood pressure.

For example: When running flat out (10 mph) on the treadmill, my blood pressure is 200/75 with a heart rate of 190-195. I can feel like crap but I don't have the symptoms mentioned above. I've had the symptoms you mention while I'm still in bed in the morning, with a blood pressure of 95/60 heart rate in the low 50s.

Your blood pressure at rest is normal, according to your doctor. So you won't die during sleep. When you are sleeping, you are rarely stressed and usually your blood pressure is even lower. So don't worry about that.

I would recommend you to stop checking your blood pressure on stressful occations, like during shopping. Your resting blood pressure is normal, but of course, if you get an inappropriately high blood pressure with stress, some treatment sounds reasonable, which is what your doctor is doing now. Buy a blood pressure monitor and check your blood pressure when you are feeling relaxed.

Exercise is great to lower blood pressure, especially stress-induced hypertension. But please understand, your blood pressure isn't supposed to be 110/70 during activity and stress. As I mentioned, my blood pressure can get as high as 200 systolic during exercise and that's how it's supposed to be. Compare it with your car. When standing still, your engine shouldn't run at 3-4000 rpm. That said, the fact that your car is able to run at 5000 rpm when needed isn't a bad thing.