High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
What is High Blood Pressure?

A community of people with High Blood Pressure to guide and support your journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, exercise, and treatment.

What is High Blood Pressure?

How do you diagnose high blood pressure?  And what are the general numbers or ranges that you should stay within to not be considered to have high blood pressure?  Do you take a weekly average of your range to find out your overall blood pressure?
High blood pressure is defined as three or more readings over several days or weeks greater than 120/80. Anything over that is consider prehypertension. Numbers over 140/90 are considered stage 1 hypertension and numbers over 160/100 are considered stage 2 hypertension. Either number exceeding these guidelines define you stage so your systolic number can be normal but your diastolic may be 90 which means you have stage 1 hypertension.

The best way to track your BP is to take it once, and only once a day at the same time if possible and record it in a BP tracker like the one here on Medhelp. This will give you a weekly, monthly and 90 day average which will help you better control your BP. Feel free to go to my profile and check my BP tracker, it is a great way to see your real number.

Hope this helps,

Jon
Thank you Jon, do you take your blood pressure at home?  We just recently got a blood pressure cuff, but I have yet to learn how to use it.  What do you do use?
I use a wrist monitor and measure mine as soon as I wake up in the morning and enter that into my tracker. It's a great way to keep know your number.
That sounds a lot easier than a traditional pump, I am assuming this just takes it automatically for you?
Yes, you strap it to your left wrist and position it over your heart. It has an indicator on the screen to help you guide it where it needs to be. Once in the proper location, it will start the test. If used properly, wrist monitors are very accurate.
wow I had no idea on these at all.  This would make the process a lot easier for me and for my husband that's for sure.  Thank you!
i have a question yall what do i do when my blood pressure is high at home but every time i go to the doctor or take my blood pressure at my cvs it reads normal but at home my veins get so big that it scares me i have low body fat as it is im at 133 pounds and u can see my veins but a normal size for me is about the size of a pen and when they swell they get to a size of about alittle smaller then my pinky and i know thats not normal i dont have any stress but i do have alittle bit of anxity and im on meds for it but it dont help i still get high blood pressure so what do yall think iv looked everything i can up on the internet and i cant find anyone with my problem ?