blood pressure above 280
Has anyone experienced blood pressure of over 280 close to 300? Could you please share what you were feeling at the time, all your symptoms etc. It would be so helpful to get insight..thank you!
These numbers are very, very high and in this case you should seek a medical help as soon as possible. I haven't experienced such a high blood pressure, however my grandmother has had around 200/140 and she was taken to the hospital immediately. According to her experience I can tell that such an increased blood pressure causes severe headache, dizziness, fatigue and the feeling of haze in your head.
Hello valda ,yes I have but I was in the hospital and was not let go until it went back down to 140/80.I have hp and who ever has that reading should go to the hospital immediately .I had a friend who died cause she never went to see a doctor  with a reading over 200.please take care of your self and your loved ones because no one else will.
Hi. Mine was very high, which i ignored for a good while. It went up and I ended up in ICU for my sins. It hit 280/160. I had difficulty breathing, . particularly lying down. Headaches Foggy feeling in head and funny pulsing feeling in head and face. It caused heart failure, my ef was at 15%. im a 50 year old male, no previous history of heart probs. If its over 180; The rule is ER to get it down.
Excellent post.    My rule is:  if the systolic (top number) is over 180 or the bottom number (diastolic) is over 110, it is ER time.   Better safe than sorry.

How long did you ignore it?

How are you doing now?

I ignored it for ages. Went to doctor , sent to ER. Hospital for 2 weeks. Had all the tests. Diagnosis resistant hypertension. I was not happy, as after 5 long months i was dosed up to taking 13 tabs a day and still BP was average 181/100.
I got a second opinion, which eventually led me to a new drug to take called aldactone. The result was dramatic, my BP went down like a stone, to average 95/63 ! But I hate the side effects. The big drop on aldactone has led us to re test for Conns etc . ( An Adrenal condition) This is sometimes difficult to locate, so its on going. Im hoping to go to Maurice Brown in Cambridge, who is a specialist in adrenal / Aldosterone problems
My mother just died (less than a week ago) after her blood pressure hitting 280 on the operating table as the surgeon went to close her up during open heart surgery to repair her heart which had been badly damaged some weeks before during a prolonged period of fibrillation.

The only problem was the doctor could see the heart & it wasn't racing this time. They just got her BP under control by using "industrial doses" of drugs "enough to kill a rhino" (surgeon's words, not mine) when the same thing happened again.

The anethetist was of course very reluctant to give her any more drugs for fear of killing her, until the surgeon pointed out she was dead either way, definitely if he didn't. After the operation the surgeon said he couldn't be sure what damage this had done...it didn't matter though, my mother died within 24 hours from several serious complications, never having regained consciousness.

Now here's the thing...as soon as this surgeon (an expert & authority in his field) saw this BP spike he immediately knew there could only be one thing that could cause such massive spikes instantaneously without a correlating increased heart rate, every blood vessel in the body would have to contract all at once.

Now the only thing that can cause that he said, is so rare the surgeon couldn't believe what he was seeing, but he was seeing it alright, for the first time in his career in fact...Pheochromocytoma, tumours that develop in the adrenal glands.

When I spoke to him half hour after the operation he felt confident we'd find these through a newly developed test which looks for a specific enzyme these tumours release into the blood stream, but we never got the chance of course.

The only problem was & what I wasn't told, was that he now knew he had performed the wrong operation, he had gone after the symptom & not the cause, the work he performed on the heart (although performed with great skill & expertise) had now resulted in weakening my mother that badly that she had no chance of survival from the onslaught of adrenalin these tumours were having the adrenal glands pour into the bloodstream.

The surgeon would have had to of known, from the moment he saw that BP spike & concluded that it must be Pheochromocytoma, that my mother's chances of survival were now almost nil due to his inability to diagnose these tumours prior to the operation & therefore damaging the heart whilst these tumours created an environment that would never allow for the heart's repair before eventually killing my mother...simply put, he had performed the wrong operation, leaving the cause of the initial problem there to now kill their host due to surgery making the heart much more vulnerable.

I contacted the coroners office a couple of days later to ask had they been instructed to look for Pheochromocytoma...to which they answered "no", but then went onto to say "...your mother is here because someone somewhere thinks something went terribly wrong. She came in for a routine operation & died of several serious complications for which we have no explanation. This suggestion you've now presented however would explain all the complications we're seeing here. Stay by the phone, we'll be back to you in a couple of hours."

Sure enough a couple of hours go by & the phone rings, it's the coroner "You're not going to believe what we've found..." But of course I already knew.

BP of 280 can cause serious &/or life threatening damage to all major organs, brain, heart, kidneys, liver...anything with blood vessels realistically. The coroner found a massive bleed in the chest cavity from where the continued onslaught of adrenalin was obviously causing the fresh repairs of the heart to fail under the unanticipated blood pressure.

My mother never had a chance without having these tumours diagnosed, located & removed prior to heart surgery. My family has paid the ultimate price for this knowledge...if by someone reading this it saves just one persons life then my mother's death has achieved something.

Because right now it seems completely unnecessary & the only thing that it has achieved is tearing my heart out & leaving a sorrow in my chest that I can not begin to describe, I never knew anything could hurt so much...I miss my mum, she was the greatest mum in the world, she was my mum.

I miss you mum...I miss you so much.
Yes!  When medics arrived they immediately,  took my blood pressure and already found my reading at 300.  My symptoms blood would trickle out the side of my nose to a slow continuous stream of blood.  Till I would become aware of my blood all over my body, floor,etc.  Constant headaches for about a month.  All these symptoms occurred till the dizzy-drunk sensation.  It wasn't till my dizziness magnified that cause my entire left side to drop.  Head to toe numbness with a 5 cm bleed in my right basal ganglia... Killing all the affected cells within the blood zone.  TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack) This happened 4-5 years ago.  I still get fatigue. left side still numb, loss of strength.  I seem to struggle holding a cup. I was suicidal.  emotional states were totally out of wack.  I found myself flirting with every woman I had my focus on, eventually leading to an overdose on diazepam aka valium (enough to kill a horse). I was off my face for a week.   First & last time.  Hope this helps.
I'm so glad you survived that.