High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
bp question
About This Community:

High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) is a reading of 140 (systolic) over 90 (diastolic), or higher and can often lead to heart disease and can often be made worse by high-salt diets. Discuss topics including good low-salt diets, heart disease and treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

bp question

hi im looking for some advice . i had my son 11 months ago , bp was fine all through pregnancy . and up till 3 days after section . then i managed to get up and drink coffee and smoke again . and i saw the monititor and it was a bit high the surgon wasnt worried but it just kept getting higher with me panicking so he gave me labatol for a 2 weeks . and wanted me to stop it . anyway i moved and got a new doc who i told i have a phobia he told me my reading was  190/114 . got me a 24hr monitor and was still high bc i panicked every time it bleeped . i eneded up taking it off after 6 hours . when i do my bp at home its 129/79  sometimes when i panick its alot higher . my question is is it possible for anxiety to raise the bp to 190/114  sorry this is a long story  
Blank
1124887_tn?1313758491
Yes, it's possible for anxiety to raise blood pressure up to 190/114.

I wonder why you keep measuring your blood pressure during panic. Try to focus on what you DO know:

1) Anxiety will raise blood pressure in everyone and it is a normal response.
2) Your blood pressure WILL be high during panic.
3) Measuring your blood pressure WILL NOT make it any lower, rather the opposite.

You'll need to work on your anxiety. Labetalol will lower your blood pressure during panic, yes. It may be a good idea, I can't tell for sure because I'm not a physician, but it sounds like the right medicine for anxiety-driven high blood pressure. That said, you need to treat the root, high blood pressure is just a symptom of your anxiety.

I had major "blood pressure phobia". I'm taking SSRI. Fear of high blood pressure is not a phobia. It is actually a manifestation of OCD.

Obsession: My blood pressure is high.
Compulsion: Checking blood pressure, hoping for reassurance.

You can't "avoid" having a blood pressure, you can't escape from your blood pressure. Blood pressure is a perfect thing to fear because you start to fear anxiety (as it will elevate blood pressure). If you were afraid of cancer, you wouldn't have more "cancer symptoms" during anxiety.

You sort of need to be "friends" with your blood pressure. Accept that everyone get an elevated blood pressure during anxiety. And maybe you should discuss medications with your doctor, mainly to treat your anxiety.
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1402204_tn?1336375082
ment to add this phobia of high bp is ruining my life . i cant sleep at night or take my son to the park because im terriefied im going to have a heart attack . :(
Blank
1124887_tn?1313758491
Yes, it's possible for anxiety to raise blood pressure up to 190/114.

I wonder why you keep measuring your blood pressure during panic. Try to focus on what you DO know:

1) Anxiety will raise blood pressure in everyone and it is a normal response.
2) Your blood pressure WILL be high during panic.
3) Measuring your blood pressure WILL NOT make it any lower, rather the opposite.

You'll need to work on your anxiety. Labetalol will lower your blood pressure during panic, yes. It may be a good idea, I can't tell for sure because I'm not a physician, but it sounds like the right medicine for anxiety-driven high blood pressure. That said, you need to treat the root, high blood pressure is just a symptom of your anxiety.

I had major "blood pressure phobia". I'm taking SSRI. Fear of high blood pressure is not a phobia. It is actually a manifestation of OCD.

Obsession: My blood pressure is high.
Compulsion: Checking blood pressure, hoping for reassurance.

You can't "avoid" having a blood pressure, you can't escape from your blood pressure. Blood pressure is a perfect thing to fear because you start to fear anxiety (as it will elevate blood pressure). If you were afraid of cancer, you wouldn't have more "cancer symptoms" during anxiety.

You sort of need to be "friends" with your blood pressure. Accept that everyone get an elevated blood pressure during anxiety. And maybe you should discuss medications with your doctor, mainly to treat your anxiety.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Recent Activity
1780921_tn?1384615710
Blank
flipper336 "I hear and I forget. I see... Comment
18 hrs ago
1236893_tn?1408490528
Blank
gymdandee commented on GMO'S IN THESE F...
22 hrs ago
535822_tn?1413656274
Blank
margypops commented on GMO'S IN THESE F...
Oct 21
High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979