High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
can one build a tolerance to blood pressure meds?
About This Community:

High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) is a reading of 140 (systolic) over 90 (diastolic), or higher and can often lead to heart disease and can often be made worse by high-salt diets. Discuss topics including good low-salt diets, heart disease and treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

can one build a tolerance to blood pressure meds?

I'm a 34 year old woman and have been on blood pressure medicine for about 3 years now. The first year I tried a few different types but my blood pressure always seemed to spike after a few months so I'd have to switch to a different kind. Well, when I went on diltiazem 120mg I took it for a year and then due to some troubling things in life I ended up going on prozac as well, which seemed to have caused another spike so my doc doubled the diltiazem dose. I have been taking 120mg twice a day for a year now and bp has stayed at around 120/85 but I have been wondering if it's just because I have built a tolerance again? Is this something that usually happens? I'm scared to taper off because when my bp is high I feel very uncomfortable...buzzing in my chest, rapid pounding heartbeats, breathing difficulties. At the same time I don't want to keep taking something I really don't need to take. Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks!!