High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
home B.P. monitor

A community of people with High Blood Pressure to guide and support your journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, exercise, and treatment.

home B.P. monitor

my bp usually runs 134/80--today i took it and i sneezed 2 times during the reading--i got scared ( i am always scared of high bp ) it was 154/92--i waited 2hrs - took it again and the cuff inflated sooo so hard and tight ( never happened before--it's over 2 years old ) THEN  my reading was 169/98 - of course i really went into a tizzy--i've been trying all day to get it NOT to inflate like that but only once in 6 times it inflated normally and i had a reading of 150/88 ( still high for me ) i have days where it runs 114/60 also. THOUGHTS?
Sneezing in itself probably would raise your blood pressure- I know talking and eating can.  And on top of that, a rush of adrenaline with your fear could easily raise your blood pressure.

Since the cuff doesn't normally squeeze that tight, I wouldn't put too much stock in the result you got there.  

What kind of cuff do you have?  I know Omron is a respected brand for home monitors.  You should check your monitor against what the nurse/doctor gets at the doctor office to try to learn if it is pretty accurate or not.

Are you on blood pressure medicine or trying to address your high blood pressure by non-medication methods?
thank you for responding--it is an old Omron monitor and they told me to order a new cuff because of it's age--probably i need to order a new me because of my age? i'm not on meds and am getting real sedentary as i age-thanks again.
Well, we were fearfully and wonderfully made by the Creator of the universe and we won't wear out until the time He appoints.  Man-made products are definitely inferior.  Hope you can get a new cuff!

Well, sounds like if you want to try to lower your risk of cardiovascular events, such as stroke, you need to find the motivation to get moving- having someone to exercise with can be very helpful.  And if arthritis is plaguing you, a heated pool can be helpful (if you can do that at a local Y or what-have-you). And if you get frequent high readings on your blood pressure, please talk to your doctor about blood pressure medication.  If you aren't keen about taking medication, you might research the different types and ask the doctor about the one(s) that look the least offensive to you and find out if any of them might be right for you to try.