High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
long term high doses of metoprolol for high blood pressure/fast heart r...

A community of people with High Blood Pressure to guide and support your journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, exercise, and treatment.

long term high doses of metoprolol for high blood pressure/fast heart rate

Hi, I'm 29 years old, otherwise healthy, and was diagnosed with high blood pressure a little over a year ago.... it was dangerously high at the time (I can't remember all the readings but the diastolic was usually between 95-110).
blood tests, x-rays, cat scans etc came back to say kidneys, lungs, bladder and all that are fine, ECG results from a few years ago showed some abnormality, after listening the physician said I had a heart murmer and left ventricular hypertrophy, but apparently ECG results look much better since starting on the drugs this year.

I have been prescribed 10mg of lisinopril, 5mg of felodipine daily and then a few visits to a very enthusiastic GP he has put me on 2x 95mg metoprolol succinate daily because I had a high heart rate in all my readings.

My BP and heart rate now seems to be okay when I get it checked but this seems like a very high dose of metoprolol and I'm getting worried it's going to cause me some damage in the long term.

I noticed a fair bit of nausea and a constant drowsiness in the afternoon when I started taking it, I've been on this dose now for about 6 months I guess, I must have gotten used to the drowsiness but lately the nausea has been hitting me pretty bad over the past few days and I've had to just lie down to get any relief.

I've had some pretty bad long term constant stress and anxiety about things in the past but I feel like most of that is behind me these days... I am hoping my heart rate might improve since I am calmer every day now, I really want to reduce the amount of metoprolol I am taking but don't know what to say to the GP, I suppose I should get a BP monitor so I can keep tabs on it myself....

Also I was wondering about the loss of libido associated with metoprolol, it doesn't seem to have any noticeable adverse effect on me at the moment, but is this something which will get worse over time?
thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Were you able to buy the BP monitor?  If there is  improvement of your blood pressure but the side effect  of your medicine metoprolol are noticeable, it is recommended that you discuss this with your attending physician for proper management.  Not all experience the same side effects of a medicine and this usually varies from person to person. Hope this helps. Take care and do keep us posted.
Thanks for the reply Rowena.
I am fine, the nausea is gone now and drowsiness isn't too troublesome.

I am still on the same medication and have recently bought the BP monitor, I have been checking every day and my blood pressure ranges from about 115/60 in the mornings and gets up to about 150/85 on some days/evenings.

I will talk to my GP about it next visit but I think they will probably recommend I stay on the same dose as it's still a bit high I guess and I haven't really noticed any side effects at the moment. I was more worried that they might develop over the long term but maybe I am lucky and it won't effect me adversly. I was interested in hearing about other peoples experiences to see if they have had problems being on such a high dose for a long time (looks like it will be for the rest of my life)