High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
paroxysmal hypertension or labile hypertension
About This Community:

High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) is a reading of 140 (systolic) over 90 (diastolic), or higher and can often lead to heart disease and can often be made worse by high-salt diets. Discuss topics including good low-salt diets, heart disease and treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

paroxysmal hypertension or labile hypertension

I started having BP issues after I had my kids.  I have been on the highest dose of Azor, benicar and would get so/so bp but my pulse was high and I was always out of breath.  I switched to 10mg of lisinopril with a low dose diuretic and it seems to be ok over all, but I will get readings in the doctors office such as 164/108. At home it's much lower and sometimes when I wake up it's 108/85.  When I have a headache or sick my bp spikes to 180/110.  My husband has been in pain from surgeries etc..  and his bo never spikes like mine.

This new doc suggested a beta blocker but I really want to avoid taking those.  He doesn't seem to really care about my health history and I think he just  pushes pills and wants his patents out the door.

Am I doomed to have uncontrollable BP all my life or is there a med that can help me?  I am afraid I will stroke out one day while going out doing activities unknowingly with my bp spiking 200/110.    
Blank
875426_tn?1325532016
It is normal for some to have their blood pressure go up with the stress of being at a doctor office- sometimes called the white coat syndrome.  It is also common to have an increase in blood pressure with pain.

However, has anybody ever checked orthostatic (lying down, sitting, and standing) blood pressure and pulse levels on you?

Done an event holter monitor on you?  

I am thinking it might be possible you have developed symptoms of dysautonomia (some have after a pregnancy), with your lows and highs, fast pulse and out of breath feelings.  

There are some other things to look at and rule out as well, though.

-Make sure though with the rapid pulse and shortness of breath that you don't have anemia or iron deficiency.

-Also, with your history of headache, rapid pulse, and spikes in blood pressure ask the doctor to rule out with a sensitive blood test- a fasting plasma free metanephrines test-the rare tumor called pheochromocytoma.  This kind of rare tumor can emit high levels of catecholamines and cause spikes in blood pressure and pulse as well as headache.  Before this rare tumor was ruled out in my case, I was switched to a blood pressure medication called labetalol.

-Be sure your thyroid function doesn't come back as hyperfunctioning and your cortisol level is okay.

I think the doctor should explore the possible of a dysfunction of your autonomic nervous system.  I have this problem, diagnosed with innappropriate sinus tachycardia (I.S.T.) and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (P.O.T.S.)  some years ago.   I have high and low blood pressure, rapid pulse, and get short of breath.  I also get migraines.

I hope you will take a look at excerpts from:
http://www.medhelp.org/tags/health_page/24603/Dysautonomia/Autonomic-Dysfunction-FAQ?hp_id=181

'Not every form of dysautonomia causes every symptom, nor does every patient experience the same group of symptoms.  Some patients experience many, while others experience very few.'

(*interpretations added on some of the possible symptoms)

•Orthostatic Intolerance (*trouble with standing)
◦Orthostatic Tachycardia (*rapid heart rate with standing)
◦Orthostatic Hypotension (*drop in blood pressure with standing... I might add a person can also get a spike in blood pressure with standing if they have P.O.T.S.)

•Variable Heart Rate
◦Tachycardia (*rapid heart rate)
◦Bradycardia (* slow heart rate)

•Variable Blood Pressure (labile blood pressure)
◦Hypotension
◦Hypertension
◦Sudden drops in blood pressure
◦Narrowing Pulse Pressure (*where the difference between your systolic and diastolic is getting smaller... an example of pulse pressure is 40 for the blood pressure 120/80)

•Altered Consciousness
◦Syncope (*fainting)
◦Pre-Syncope (*close to fainting)
◦Seizures
◦Cognitive Dysfunction
◦Anxiety/Panic Symptoms
◦Disorientation
◦Aphasia (Speech Disturbances)
◦Lethargy

•Digestive Symptoms
◦Nausea
◦Episodic Vomiting
◦Polydipsia (*thirsty and drinking a lot)
◦Frequent Urination
◦Food/Chemical Sensitivities
◦Delayed Gastric Emptying
◦Constipation
◦Diarrhea
◦Acid Reflux
◦Postprandial Hypotension
◦Insulin Resistance

•Pain-Related Symptoms ◦Migraines/Headaches
◦Chest Discomfort
◦Neuropathic Pain
◦Increased/Decreased Pain Sensitivity

•Uncategorized
◦Tremulousness
◦Lightheadedness
◦Generalized Weakness
◦Unsteadiness
◦Heat Intolerance
◦Facial Flushing
◦Sleep-Related Problems
◦Breath Holding
◦Visual Disturbances
◦Dyspnea (*difficulty breathing)
◦Anhidrosis/Hyperhidrosis
◦Exercise intolerance
◦Pupillary Dysfunction
◦Hypoventilation/Hyperventilation
◦Disequalibrium

and come participate in this forum:
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Dysautonomia-Autonomic-Dysfunction/show/266

875426_tn?1325532016
It is normal for some to have their blood pressure go up with the stress of being at a doctor office- sometimes called the white coat syndrome.  It is also common to have an increase in blood pressure with pain.

However, has anybody ever checked orthostatic (lying down, sitting, and standing) blood pressure and pulse levels on you?

Done an event holter monitor on you?  

I am thinking it might be possible you have developed symptoms of dysautonomia (some have after a pregnancy), with your lows and highs, fast pulse and out of breath feelings.  

There are some other things to look at and rule out as well, though.

-Make sure though with the rapid pulse and shortness of breath that you don't have anemia or iron deficiency.

-Also, with your history of headache, rapid pulse, and spikes in blood pressure ask the doctor to rule out with a sensitive blood test- a fasting plasma free metanephrines test-the rare tumor called pheochromocytoma.  This kind of rare tumor can emit high levels of catecholamines and cause spikes in blood pressure and pulse as well as headache.  Before this rare tumor was ruled out in my case, I was switched to a blood pressure medication called labetalol.

-Be sure your thyroid function doesn't come back as hyperfunctioning and your cortisol level is okay.

I think the doctor should explore the possible of a dysfunction of your autonomic nervous system.  I have this problem, diagnosed with innappropriate sinus tachycardia (I.S.T.) and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (P.O.T.S.)  some years ago.   I have high and low blood pressure, rapid pulse, and get short of breath.  I also get migraines.

I hope you will take a look at excerpts from:
http://www.medhelp.org/tags/health_page/24603/Dysautonomia/Autonomic-Dysfunction-FAQ?hp_id=181

'Not every form of dysautonomia causes every symptom, nor does every patient experience the same group of symptoms.  Some patients experience many, while others experience very few.'

(*interpretations added on some of the possible symptoms)

•Orthostatic Intolerance (*trouble with standing)
◦Orthostatic Tachycardia (*rapid heart rate with standing)
◦Orthostatic Hypotension (*drop in blood pressure with standing... I might add a person can also get a spike in blood pressure with standing if they have P.O.T.S.)

•Variable Heart Rate
◦Tachycardia (*rapid heart rate)
◦Bradycardia (* slow heart rate)

•Variable Blood Pressure (labile blood pressure)
◦Hypotension
◦Hypertension
◦Sudden drops in blood pressure
◦Narrowing Pulse Pressure (*where the difference between your systolic and diastolic is getting smaller... an example of pulse pressure is 40 for the blood pressure 120/80)

•Altered Consciousness
◦Syncope (*fainting)
◦Pre-Syncope (*close to fainting)
◦Seizures
◦Cognitive Dysfunction
◦Anxiety/Panic Symptoms
◦Disorientation
◦Aphasia (Speech Disturbances)
◦Lethargy

•Digestive Symptoms
◦Nausea
◦Episodic Vomiting
◦Polydipsia (*thirsty and drinking a lot)
◦Frequent Urination
◦Food/Chemical Sensitivities
◦Delayed Gastric Emptying
◦Constipation
◦Diarrhea
◦Acid Reflux
◦Postprandial Hypotension
◦Insulin Resistance

•Pain-Related Symptoms ◦Migraines/Headaches
◦Chest Discomfort
◦Neuropathic Pain
◦Increased/Decreased Pain Sensitivity