sudden rise in BP
Hello everyone, I had heart surgery to remove a tumor a few months ago. I have had some heart rythmn problems all of which subsided once my dr put me on 100mg of metroprolol and I healed up. However, for the last few days my BP has spiked up sometimes. My vision sometimes gets a bit wierd during these events. IE it is like I see though broken glass in my perifiral vision. And when I look at words they seem to kind of over lap eachother. My bp was like 155/95 during this but this was right after walking about 300 yards. So I would expect it to be a bit high. Have any of you ever had problems like this out of the blue. The metropolol was working great and now it is letting my BP go up
That BP is not really that high after exercise. How high are the spikes you have experienced?
140-155 over 90-98. The thing is I am on this metoprolol. My bp has been great for weeks. Now all of a sudden I am getting this. I think it might be digestive system related.
Well, a pressure of 140-155 systolic would not cause symptoms like vision problems. It must be caused by something else (that for all I know also may increase the blood pressure). Blood pressure can increase in response to lots of conditions that may cause symptoms, and we automatically think that we are sensing the increase in blood pressure, which is not necessarily correct at all.

What is your normal (baseline) blood pressure between the spikes?

Metoprolol will not increase the blood pressure. In very rare cases, with endocrine diseases causing excess stress hormones, older so-called non-selective beta blockers may increase it, but a cardiolselective beta blocker like metoprolol should not. If your blood pressure usually is normal, but spikes a little after exercise (it happens in everyone and it's not that blood pressure you should measure), I would not be very scared, but mention it to your doctor next time you see him or her. But if you have problems like vision disturbances, you should of course see a doctor regardless of your blood pressure.