High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
what causes high bp and fast heart rate??

High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) is a reading of 140 (systolic) over 90 (diastolic), or higher and can often lead to heart disease and can often be made worse by high-salt diets. Discuss topics including good low-salt diets, heart disease and treatments.

can someone here answer this for me? for the past 2 weeks,i have been going to walmart walgreens and rite aid and have been sitting down for 5 minutes and then putting my arm in the cuff and measuring my vital signs. my systolic blood pressure was always 160-180 and i never had a reading lower than 160. my diastolic was anywhere from 99-105. my heart rate was from 110-128 all the time. i have had many lab tests and everything is fine..metabolic panel and thyroid and i had a cardiac workup which was fine too. i am in my mid 20s,and i want to know,if my bp and pulse are that high,can it do damage to my vital organs?? and why are my numbers so high since all the test show no abnormalities??
I have the same problem. I am only 27 and have bp readings in the high 140s and low 90s. Sometimes I will get a reading of 152/90 because I am so nervous about checking it., then the next two end up being normal for me in the 140s.

My heart rate is in the 90s too. It's weird. I have no problems with weight or anything else. I did smoke, drink and eat out a lot but never had any problems until about three months ago.

My guess is stress and anxiety which have reached their peak for me in the last couple of months. My stress level has gotten so high I think I may need anti anxiety meds.

So do you have high stress or anxiety?
Welcome and thanks for your questions. One important thing to remember is that the commercial units in drug stores are notoriously inaccurate. These machines have a one size fits all cuff that if too tight will give overstated readings. Also, they are not serviced and calibrated on a regular basis so they are not very accurate. You can look at my BP tracker on my profile and see that I average 109/66 for the last 90 days yet yesterday when I used the store machine I was 30 points higher, it happens often. That same day I checked mine on another unit at another store and it was right on. You just can not depend on these machines for an accurate reading.

Also, if you get worked up over taking your BP you will get a higher reading just as you would at a doctor's office if you have white coat hypertension, see this link below for more details;

http://www.blood-pressure-monitoring.org/white-coat-hypertension.htm

Another thing to think about, taking multiple readings just moments apart will tend to get higher and higher readings if you are anxious about your BP, so don't do it. Just one reading per day at approx the same time.

Only your doctor can diagnose you with high BP after three separate reading that are many days apart. Since you have had many tests, did he give you any reason to believe you have high BP?

Hope this helps,

Jon
Wow, so it's not good to check your blood pressure on those machines three times?

No wonder I have a headache now. Those cuff are too tight.

I think I am going to go to the doctors to double check. And I know I definitely have white coat syndrome.

I think that is why I had such a horrible reaction to Bystolic 5mg. It probably lowered my BP way too low.

I am sure that when I check it at the grocery store pharmacy it's at least ten points higher because I get really anxious about each reading.
I've been having same problem for two years now. I'm a 37 year old female been under extreme amount of stress and have a family history of heart disease/diabetes and of course I've smoked cigs for many years. I'm sure all those contribute to it but you would think it would come on gradually where as mine was all of a sudden. I just had a baby exactly a year before and all my vitals were good then all of a sudden I have high blood pressure and tachycardia. All my tests are normal as well, even cardio tests so who knows what it is. I been taking Bystolic 5mg for a year now and sometimes it works to well. It will get low and stay that way for days.
How do people take that stuff for years?

I had to stop bystolic 5mg because it was messing me up.
There are many classes of BP meds. Ask your doctor about an ARB, they work by relaxing your arteries so the can absorb the beat of your heart and are very effective. In addition, they have very, very few side effects. They are usually the last treatment tried as most insurance fights their use as they are expensive.

I've been on them the for years and they've been great.

Jon
that makes sense. the only good bp med that has worked for me was micardis. then my doc switched me over to bystolic and it's been hell ever since.

would I be able to do push ups and sit ups with this high of bp? I was hoping to do some weight training but nothing too strenous.