Holistic Care For Pets Expert Forum
Azodyl

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Holistic Care. Questions will be answered by a veterinarian.

Azodyl
My Norwich is now taking 3 pills of this a day. He seems to be normal and it's working. Eats drinks and
all the normal dogs things. Is there something better that is not in pill form. When I travel I hate to have my dog sitter
try to give him these pills. His food has been changed to compliment the kinney disorder.

thanks for any info.
There is no single substitute for Azodyl.  You would have to use two separate products.  

1.  You could use a good probiotic supplement that contains the following: E. thermophilus, Lactobacillus acidophilus, and Bifidus longum.  It may be difficult to find a combination probiotic supplement with just these three identical ingredients.  A product with the above ingredients, plus additional probiotic strains and the prebiotic FOS,  would be an acceptable substitution.  The best probiotics are human formulas sold from the refrigerated section of good health food stores, such as Whole Foods, but there are good freeze dried versions also.  The dose would be 1/4 to 1/2 a human adult dose.

2.  You will also have to supply psyllium husk powder.  This ingredient, which is in Azodyl, is not in standard probiotics.  The dose for your dog would be approximately 1/2 teaspoon twice daily.

It is much easier just to have your sitter disguise the Azodyl capsules in a bit of cheese, peanut butter, or chicken.
Hello, ( I am also from WI, (Watertown.)) And I have a 15 yr old cat with stage 4 crf. He is on Azodyl, my vet told me that you can break the capsol open and put it in 1 spoon full ( at most) of food, so your cat will just eat it.) (It has to be no food - small amount of food because the Azodyl has to go straight to the intestines, and not sit in the stomach while all the food digests. Ok hope this helps. ( www.entirelypets.com tell each bottle rele cheap at only $20)