Holistic Care For Pets Community
Alternate Meds to treat Cushing's Disease

This community is for questions and support regarding holistic care for your pets.

This is for Dr. Cheng. I am currently treating my 15 yr old male cockapoo with Si Miao San for Cushing's Disease. My vet is not familiar with alternative meds and I researched the disease on the internet and had her order this herb for me. He was put on this herb since Jan 8/10 and this has improved his condition alot (now has bladder control, drinks less water and not as hyper). I recently increased his dosage to 2/3 tsp 2xday as he started to be more hyper again but have not seen any improvement. Should I increase the dosage and what is the  maximum dosage for a 30 lb dog?  I have also added recently 15 drops of burdock root tincture 2X day to treat his skin condition. He has a lot of sebaceous growths that emit a greasy substance. I use witch hazel to clean the larger growths occasionally and bathe him every 3 weeks to help with the greasy skin. Note, my dog has been on a raw food diet for the past 5 years. Are there other herbs I can use to help him with this disease? Your advice is much appreciated ....Liligirl
Hello again.  Please post to the Holistic Care for Pets in the Expert's Forum next time.

Skin problems are among the most difficult to control with Traditional Chinese Medicine.  An integrative approach utilizing Western medication and Traditional Chinese Medicine is often more effective that Chinese Medicine alone.  

Jing Tang Herbal Company's "Max's Formula" and "Damp Heat Skin" at 1/4 to 1/2 dose of each twice per day may be helpful.  The herbal formula for Cushing's disease can be used at a full dose.  But as I mentioned in a previous post, it would be best to have your dog examined and evaluated by a veterinarian who practices Traditional Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture for the best treatment, especially since your dog has several problems and therapy must be balanced.  These products are usually safe but can cause gastrointestinal problems in some patients.

Burdock root tincture is helpful for Liver problems.  Many Cushinoid patients have elevated liver enzymes.  Milk Thistle, Dandelion, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Sam-E, and Choline and Inositol (and others) are helpful in supporting the liver.  These products should be available over the counter.  Your dog's dose would be 1/4 of a human adult dose for these products.