Holistic Care For Pets Expert Forum
Azodyl side effects for cats

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Holistic Care. Questions will be answered by a veterinarian.

Azodyl side effects for cats

My vet is recommending Azydol for my 17-year-old male Siamese/Tabby cat and my 16-year-old female Tabby. They both have hyperactive thyroids and stage dilute urine (the male recently diagnosed) but the girl has had it for about 3 years now. It hasn't progressed past stage 1, which is really good. I want to keep them that way. They both are on methamyzol, and doing very well on it. (I have a great vet that gives the barest minimum, so they have no side effects). I make their food (have for most of their lives) with holistic supplements and vitamins. I add fish oil to their food and B-complex which I've read can help. Can you recommend any holistic remedies for cats to keep the kidney failure from developing further? Thank you, Andrea
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
17
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Siamese mix
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 27, 2009
City
:  
New York
State/Province
:  
NY
Azodyl is a food supplement which helps to lower kidney enzymes (BUN and Creatinine) in the blood.  The mechanism of action of Azodyl is to populate the gut with beneficial microorganisms that catabolize urea toxins in the intestines.  The urea toxins that have been broken down pass harmlessly in the stool, thus lowering BUN and Creatinine in the blood.  Gastrointestinal side effects from Azodyl can occur as you would expect from any change in diet.  If they do occur, reintroduce Azodyl very slowly over time.  

Other  treatments that can help in kidney disease include: Omega 3 Fatty Acids from fish sources, Cosequin for cats, Epakitin, Fluid therapy and the proper Chinese Herbal formula for the patient.

In Chinese Veterinary Medicine one size does not fit all.  Every patient is a unique individual and must be examined and assessed by a Chinese Veterinary practitioner, who can choose the correct formula for the patient.  There are dozens of formula's for renal insufficiency or renal failure.  

For example:
Ba Wei Di Huang Wan for: renal failure/insufficiency in the neutral patient, Liu Wei Di Huang Wan for: renal failure/insufficiency in the heat intolerant patient, Tian Wang Bu Xin Dan for:renal failure/insufficiency in geriatric patients, and many many more...

That being said, Ba Wei Di Huang Wan which is commonly know as Eight Flavor Rehmannia is fairly safe and could be a start for your cats' until you can find a Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medical Practitioner who can make a Chinese diagnosis.