Aa
A
A
Close
Boxer Cardiomyopathy
I have an 11 year old female boxer who was recently diagnosed with boxer cardiomyopathy. She was asymptomatic to me, but the vet heard an arrhythmia and a holter monitor & echo confirmed the diagnosis. We started her on sotalol, and 6 days later she was having a reverse sneezing attack and fainted. The vet had me stop the sotalol, and over the next week her pulse rate (which is usually low to begin with) increased. I am now reluctant to try mexilitine for fear of the same reaction. She has never fainted before, although I think I have witnessed episodes where she gets a spaced-out look and is a bit drooly.

I am considering starting her on Vetri-Science Cardio Strength, because I had excellent results with their kidney formula in another dog. I am wondering about other supplements such as hawthorn? What would be the right hawthorn dosage for a 55-lb dog? I should add, she also gets Tramadol for arthritis, gluco/chondroitin, and fish oil. Would any of these supplements interact with Tramadol? Her diet is Orijen grain free, as she has always had a very high metabolism and is very skinny.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Coenzyme Q10 dosed at 50-100 IU a day is excellent for heart health and would be a valid consideration for your boxer's cardiomyopathy
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Holistic Care For Pets Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank