Holistic Care For Pets Expert Forum
CRF

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Holistic Care. Questions will be answered by a veterinarian.

CRF

This is a follow-up to Dr. Osborne's recommendation of Rehmannia 8.  I used it years ago on a kitty and extended his life by several years!  He happily ate it in his food.  My current CRF kitty WILL NOT even consider eating it in her food...especially with her lowered appetite.  How can I administer it?
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
10
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
DSH
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
November 13, 2009
City
:  
Rindge
State/Province
:  
NH
Rehmannia 8 comes in a liquid form which can be squirted in the mouth.  The liquid product is available online from Kan Essentials (Kan Herbals), which your cat may find more palatable.

If you have Rehmannia 8 in capsule form, you could open the capsules and mix with a small amount of clam juice, tuna juice, chicken broth, etc and also squirt in in your cat's mouth using a dosing syringe or eye dropper.  Please always follow any dose of medication with a food reward that your cat finds delicious, such as a small piece of chicken.  

I have also had owners apply powdered Rehmannia 8 directly to the fur of their cats.  The cat will lick it off while grooming, though the dose is unreliable, and a bit of the powder is wasted, but it is better than not getting the formula at all.

The Rehmannnia 8 could also be delivered by enema, though few cats will allow this.

It might be necessary to increase your cat's appetite by using another herbal formula which is safe in kidney disease, such as one of the following: Wei Chang He, or Yu Nu Jian.  Your cat should find one of these formula's palatable and once the anorexia is corrected your cat take the Rehmannia 8 readily.