Holistic Care For Pets Community
Cat chronically constipated.

This community is for questions and support regarding holistic care for your pets.

Cat chronically constipated.

My name is Jessica and my female cat Chloe (who is roughly 13 years of age) has been chronically constipated for...well...what I personally believe to be years now. She has only been in my care for almost a year now but she was my mothers cat and I was aware that she had some (what we believed to be) behavioral issues when she had her such as defecating around the house. Since I have taken her into my care I no longer believe these to be behavior but medical issues. A few months ago I had to take her to the vet because I noticed she was having very small bowel movements and straining like crazy trying to poop just about anywhere in the house. She would also lie on her side and try to poop but nothing would come out or it would get stuck. I was given Lactalose and told to go on a prescription diet (no!). I took the Lactalose home and begin to administer it. After a few days I wasn't seeing any effects and I came home one day to find her straining more then I had ever seen and she was clearly uncomfortable. I rushed her to the vet and they administered 3 enemas and eventually a lot of small, hard poop came out. Since then I have been feeding her exclusively wet canned food and I put a bit of pumpkin in her food every day. She does not get hard food, ever! I find her constipation increases on hard food and she doesn't drink much either. Even though she is going a bit more normally now and taking larger poops they are still fairly small and about once a week she will become constipated and wonder around the house straining to poop.

I would also like to note that she vomits quite frequently. When she was living with my mother both of my cats would vomit multiple times everyday. I have switched both of them to a grain free diet and my other cat has stopped completely but Chloe continues to, though no where near as much. Lately, she has been vomiting every day. It's usually a clear foam or brown liquid.

I am in desperate need of help. I feel like I have tried everything. I fear taking her to the vet because they will just recommend a prescription food and give me some big speech about how grains aren't bad for cats when I know my cats don't do well on them at all. If anyone could provide me with some reasons why Chloe is like this and some possible all natural solutions I would be forever in debt to you!

Thank you so so very much!
We have 2 16 year old cats brother & sister. The male was clearly constipated. We took him to the vet for his annual. Got a full blood panel his bowels were packed so bad. The vet had to make him sleepy and dug out his bottom with a tool.
Now down to their constipation issue. We mix that Metamucil plain white smooth stuff into their soft food. A-Okay instantly with the problem. I mistakenly gave too much the 1st time and hubby got some pooh on him from Miko.
They both have beginnings of Renal Failure according to their annual bloodwork. We have them on this natural stuff called 'Tripsey'. Bing it if your cat has Renal Failure, cats are known for that when they get senior. They both were diagnosed with that back in 2010 age 13 we started them on that 'Tripsey'. Well also Vet prescription food. Purina Renal NF dry and also canned Purina NF. 2 1/2 years later blood work has improved no more constipation. We have 2 happy, running, fighting, biting, and playing kitties. For the vomiting situation possibly a hairball or she is so stuffed in her bowels or intestine inside maybe. But much luck with all her problems. My female cat Midnight always hides from her big brother Miko because he is such a bully to her. Much luck again MEOW!!!!

Candy aka ms100202
I joined because I have MS
They're 15 I think, they were born underneath our home in '97. We ended up bottle feeding 3 kittens at first. The shelter would've put them down because they had no manpower to keep them alive. Cloudy the 3rd died in '07 from a freaky liver disease.
does anyone in sa,tx know where i can take my cat to get blood work for free? i think shes dieing and i have no money.