Holistic Care For Pets Community
Cockapoo skin problems

This community is for questions and support regarding holistic care for your pets.

Cockapoo skin problems

My 8 year old cockapoo started having skin problems about 3 months after moving to Florida. We used to live in Northern VA and never had skin issues. It started with a few red bumps here and there, and developed into a full blown mess. The rashes vary in size and color. Some are raised and a dark color (I thought it was a tick at first) and some look more like a red sore, sometimes exposing the skin. I tried many remedies I found online, apple cider vinegar, oatmeal shampoo, you name it, nothing helped.
The vet advised me it wasn't a food allergy ( contrary to what everyone else seems to think) but an allergic reaction to the environment. I'm still not sure. (We have lived here prior and there were no skin irritations.) So the vet had given us an antibiotics, and told me this irritation would last Cindy's lifetime re-occurring about once yearly. We went through this in February of this year and the nasty bumps and rashes are back!
I'm at my wits end here, I don't want to medicate my dog again, not to mention paying the vet a fortune. Has anyone experienced this? What to do??
Thanks for your help!!
If the allergy is environmental (does it fully clear up during a certain season or just comes and go randomly?) then they are a couple homeopathic remedies that might help.

Bee pollen (MUST be local to help) works like allergy shots to slowly get the body to not react to the pollen floating around during spring/summer.  
Anything that improves overall all immune system health will help allergies - omega 3 supplements (takes about 2 months to start working), yucca root, kelp powder etc.

The most important thing will be to improve the overall nutrition - watch the ingridents and quality of food you are allowing your dog to eat.  He/she may be eating high levels of pro-inflammatory ingridents (wheat, corn, red meat) or has mild food intolerances that when the body also has to deal with high pollen levels causes the immune system to go into overdrive and bam! the rashes and hot spots are back.  Try to get them eating a moderate to high protein diet with low grain (small amounts of rice, barley and oatmeal should be fine unless you notice symptoms with them) and a hypoallergenic protein like duck, or fish.  Watch your treats and bones as well!!  Rawhide and milkbones are hard to digest and may allow large protein molecules to slip into the bloodstream where the immune system launches an attack.

Hopefully that helps!