Holistic Care For Pets Community
Cushings Disease sympton relief

This community is for questions and support regarding holistic care for your pets.

Cushings Disease sympton relief

My dog has been diagnosed with Cushings Disease.  He did not do well on Lysodren, and now is taking nothing.  His main syptoms (symptoms) are extreme thirst and frequent urination.  Is there any help in the alternative field?

This discussion is related to Natural medication for Cushing's Disease.
Tags: cushings
I put my dog on a chinese herb called Si Miao San which has helped my 15 year old dog who the vet believes has Cushings Disease. I didn't want to pay the money to have my dog tested for this disease but based on other tests and his symptoms this is what we believe he has. My dog started to have pee accidents and pant  and drink water excessively in the summer of 2009. Within 2 weeks of being on this herb he no longer has accidents and is less hyper and drinks less water. He is not 100% there has been definite improvements.
I researched for a natural remedy as I do not believe in giving my dog drugs unless there are no alternatives. I found a company called Natural Path Herb Company in Calgary Alberta that supplied this herb but only Veterinarians could order it. My vet is not familiar with alternate medicines but checked with a vet friend that is and confirmed this is the right herb to treat Cushings Disease. My vet was willing to order it for me. It costs me $54.00 plus taxes and shipping for 100 grams. This lasts about 6 weeks based on the dosage I am giving my dog.
The improvements were quick. My dog has not had an accident for over a month unless he is in a situation where he gets very anxious and I do not pay attention to let him out t pee. I just found this forum and I am hoping to hear from Dr. Cheng as to the correct dosage as my dog's anxiety in the evening is returning. I think he is getting used to the dosage and it needs to be increased. I'm not sure if I'm going to get an answer from Dr. Cheng as this is the first time I have ever used a forum. Check this herb out the internet.  I don't know where you live but I've seen it cheaper in the States.  Good luck and I hope you find some help for your dog.  Liligirl.
Hello,  This is Dr. Cheng writing.  

This forum is for answers and comments from non-vets.  I only just saw the question by accident today.  Sorry about that.  To avoid problems with answers in the future please remember to post additional questions under the Expert Forum next time.

Si Miao San is a very common herbal formula but is very mild. Natural Path Herbal Company was started by one of my professors, Dr. Steve Marsden and it very reputable.  The initial dose is 1/4 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight.  You did not list your dog's body weight so I cannot give an exact dose.  This dose can be increased slightly as long as there are no gastrointestinal symptoms, such as diarrhea.  

Since Si Miao San is mild it may not be strong enough for a severely Cushionoid patient.  Other Chinese herbal formula's for Cushing's are Rehmannia 11, Rehmannia 14, and, Ophiopogon Powder which are available either from Natural Path or Jing Tang Herbal Company by prescription from your veterinarian.  The correct formula is best prescribed by a Veterinarian with Chinese herbal knowledge using traditional Chinese medical diagnosis.  Since this is not possible you will have to choose a formula listed above and perform a therapeutic trial. If the new formula is effective...Great!  If not... then try the next one on the list.   Any of these formula's can be used along with the Si Miao San, since they are all safe and well tolerated.