Holistic Care For Pets Community
Dog Hit By Car

This community is for questions and support regarding holistic care for your pets.

Dog Hit By Car

7990357?1338073872
My name is Emily - I have a 3 1/2 year old Blue Pitbull mix named Blue. I adopted him when he was 5 months old... when he was 7 months old he was hit by a car. (freak accident - LONG story involving a cornfield and student driver) The car struck him and he was pinned underneath... he broke both of his hind legs, and suffered major tissue, muscle, and tendon injuries. He had a partial tail amputation, had a toe amputated from his left leg and multipule surgeries involving both an external and then internal metal rod inserted in his right hind leg. Both hock joints are now fused and he had his final surgery 6 months ago removing the metal rod from his leg.

The original accident was 3 years ago this past mothers day. He is doing very well - even though at times I do feel the right hind leg should have been amputated, he doesn't seem to mind. I have done hydrotherapy, message therapy and various bone/joint medications with him trying to improve his range of movement and ease his pain. His most recent surgery (removing the metal plate which had been in his leg for two years) seems to have improved his condition - but it also came along with recovery time and more therapy.

I recently have been introduced to the world of homeopathic medicine and am trying to find the best supplements and/or remedies for my dog to improve his joint, muscle and tendon health, along with some ways to ease the pain. He does well day-to-day but after laying around for too long or vigorous exercise he is visibly uncomfortable and will avoid weight bearing on his hind legs. The vet (traditional) says that this is to be expected and is not a big deal but it breaks my heart.

I have been suggested to buy something called Doggone Pain - very expensive. If anyone has any advice or suggestions please let me know, I am trying to do the best thing for my baby.

Thank you!