Holistic Care For Pets Community
Dog with Masticatory Muscle Myositis

This community is for questions and support regarding holistic care for your pets.

Dog with Masticatory Muscle Myositis

I have a 6 yr old yellow lab mix.  6 months ago he suddenly developed huge hematomas in both ears and had to have his ears dissected/drained.  The vet did not know what caused this, but suspected some sort of allergy.
Since that time his chewing has been much slower than normal, as he used to "scarf down" his food.  
This morning he started wimpering when he was eating, we took him to the vet, and he suspects masticatory muscle myositis.  There does seem to be swelling in the jaws and neck area.
We have started the dog on Prednisone.  I am interested in a non-medication, long term treatment for auto-immune disorder.
I read in another forum of the following:  Chlorophyll, Belladonna, Bu Gan Tang and VitaLife (antio-oxidant).
Any help is greatly appreciated.
I had the exact same problem with my black lab and yellow retriever. she had so many surgerys to drain the blood built up on her ears, from her constent itching, I tried everything from the vet and at every pet store I could find. Finally an much older retired vet saw her and recommended Acidophilus, what she has is a yeast infection in her ears. Acidophilus stops the growth of the yeast infection. It comes in capsules with a dry powder. open the capsule empty it into their ears and message it in do this at least twice a day until cleared up and the itchign usually stops the next day but continue putting capsules in their ears for 10 days. then as a preventable issues later on put a capsule in each ear about once a month. Neither one of my dogs ever had an issue again.