Holistic Care For Pets Expert Forum
Effects of Chinese Herbs on Liver

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Holistic Care. Questions will be answered by a veterinarian.

Effects of Chinese Herbs on Liver

Elevated liver enzymes were found during a routine blood chem of my dog at 18 months of age.  She had an ultra sound which was inconclusve, followed by a laparascopic liver biopsy.  The tissue was sent out for evaluation and returned showing no definitive liver disease although her hormone and adrenal levels were quite high.  Spaying was recommended and when that was done, the liver was viewed and re-biopsied.  The liver looked perfectly normasl and healthy and again, the biopsy was inconclusive for liver disease.  It was recommended that I feed the hepatic food and give liver supplements [Denamarin].  My dog is VERY anxious and fearful around other dogs and the use of shen calmer has been recommemnded.  My question is will the use of Chinese herbs have an affect on the liver and should I not consider using them?  My dog does get accupuncture regulary.  Thanks!
Type of Animal
:  
canine
Age of Animal
:  
3 yrs
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Dobermann
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
September 20, 2010
City
:  
Frederick
State/Province
:  
MD
Blood Test Results
:  
ALT - 248
AST - 25
GGT - 16
AlkPhos - 460
Everything else well with normal range and urinalysis normal
Shen Calmer is a great product and should not have any adverse effect on liver enzymes.

The following supplements and Chinese herbal formulas would also be of benefit and are effective with Shen Calmer to reduce anxiousness and lower elevated liver enzymes:

Either one of the Chinese herbal formulas: Liver Happy or Chai Hu Shu Gan.  Both of these formula's are manufactured by Dr. Xie's Jing Tang Herbal Company, which is the company that makes Shen Calmer.  They are available by prescription from your veterinarian.

Denamarin is also a good supplement that contains Sam-E and Silymarin (milk thistle) and she should continue with this.

Other supplements for the liver include: Omega 3 Fatty Acids, Alpha Lipoic acid, Burdock and Dandelion, Co Q 10.