Holistic Care For Pets Expert Forum
Have a question about supplements for dog heart murmur

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Holistic Care. Questions will be answered by a veterinarian.

this is a follow up question to my questions asked in the general vet section:

thank you for recommending the supplements for my dog's 2-3 asymptomatic heart murmur...  i will add the extra important supplements to the cardio supplement from vetri science.  i found the coenzyme q-10 in dog dosage (from vetri science in 10 mg caps) but the hawthorn and fu fang dan shen pian i am having a hard time finding in dog dosage.  my dog weighs 24 pounds.  do you have any recommendations of a reputable supplement "brand" or how to make the human dosage correct for my dog without giving too much.  what is the adult human dosage of fu fang dan shen pian?  are there any potential side effects to these supplements that i should be aware of?  also, the fish oil from nordic naturals comes in "fish oil" or "cod liver oil".  i think one of the vets recommended the cod liver oil.  do you agree this would be best one for cardiac purposes?  
thank you!
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
11
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
beagle - shih tzu (mix)
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
January 27, 2010
State/Province
:  
michigan
Hello again,

The dose of fu fang dan shen pian depends on the formulation.  Chinese herbal formula's come in powder, teapills, capsules and tinctures.  Generally, the human dose is listed on the container.  For example, www.acuatlanta.net has KPC brand Fu Fang Dan Shen Pian and the dose for humans is listed as 2-4 capsules 2 to 3 times per day.  That would be a maximum total of 12 capsules per day for a human.  A 25 lb dog would need 1/4 to 1/3 of a maximum human dose per day, because dog's requirement is higher, therefore your dog would take 1-2 capsules orally twice daily. Jing Tang Herbal Company has a Fu Fang Dan Shen Pian formula made exclusively for small animal called "Compound Dan Shen" and the dose is one capsule per 10 lbs orally twice daily, so your dog would need 5 per day.  Compound Dan Shen is only available by veterinary prescription at Jing Tang Herbal Company.  The only side effects are allergy if your dog is allergic to any of the ingredients, or vomiting or diarrhea.  These symptoms may be dose related.  I find that if the dose is decreased initially and gradually increased to the therapeutic dose over a week to 10 day period the gastrointestinal symptoms do not occur, or are very slight.

Either Nordic Naturals oil is good.  Cod liver oil may have a slightly higher vitamin A content than other sources so you would have to assess the vitamin A content of all of your dog's other supplements to determine if the vitamin A dose is too high.  Vitamin A is an oil soluble vitamin and can be toxic at very high levels.  However, vitamin A toxicosis is extremely rare and to achieve Vitamin A toxicity a dose of 100,000 IU would have to be continued for months or years.  

Please post again with any other questions you may have.  Thanks!