Holistic Care For Pets Expert Forum
Help

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Holistic Care. Questions will be answered by a veterinarian.

Help

Well Shug is our baby, our life. We are not ready to give up this fight. My question is is she getting all of the help available? We have searched the web for other supplements. Just not sure what to try. There are so many opinions about all of the supplements on the market today. The meds that she is on are there any side affects? Can any of them affect the kidney function? Any help/advise would mean the world to us and Shug. Please give us your best educated response. Thank you Bobby , Michelle and Sug...
Type of Animal
:  
canine
Age of Animal
:  
10 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
40 # mix breed
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
October 04, 2010
City
:  
Sulphur
State/Province
:  
Louisina
Blood Test Results
:  
BUN/UREA=74 mg/dl, CHLORIDE=114 mmol/l, POTASSIUM=5.6mmol/l, SODIUM=147mmol/l, ALKP=1645U/L, ALT=43U/L, CREA=3.7mg/dL, GLU=146mg/dL, TP=6.3g/dL..
Other pertinent test results
:  
Doc tell us that Shug is having kidney failure. Her teeth are also bad & need to be pulled. She is taking 10mg Benizepril for renal function, Azodyl for kidney funtion. ( After being on Azodyl for 4 days the blood work was not any better), Tramadol 50mg 1 tab 3 times daily for arthiritis pain, Methocarbamol 500mg 1/2 3 times daily for pain. One doc gave her Doxycycline 100mg 2 times daily. The other doc took her off of this to prevent furthur kidney problems. She was given an injection of another antibiotic to last 2 weeks. I do not remember the name of this. I need to call her doc & find out the name. We are also giving Shug fluids under the skin daily to help flush the Kidneys.Doc also says she cannot safely put her under to remove/clean her teeth because of the kidney issues.
I am so sorry about your dog's kidney disease!  

Shug is on a good protocol for not.  

The long lasting antibiotic is called: Convenia so you do not need to ask your vet the name.

It may be a good idea to try and get her off some of the pain medications.  Acupuncture can help with this and with kidney disease in some cases.  Please try to locate a veterinary acupuncturist in your area, if interested.

Supplements for kidney disease include:
1. Omega 3 fatty acids from a marine source.  1000mg of Omega 3's twice daily.
2. Rehmannia 8 (a very important Chinese Herbal Formula for Kidney disease).  This is a common herb available online or at Chinese or Asian markets.  The dose is 8 teapills twice daily.
3.  Cranberry supplement.
4.  Glucosamine and Chondroitin.  Dose is 500mg three times daily, or 750mg twice daily.  Glucosamine is not just for joints it also helps the integrity of the bladder.

Treat all urinary tract infections as they arise.

Incidentally, the vet who placed your pet on doxycycline may have believed that your dog may have had an exposure to Lyme disease. Lyme disease can cause joint pain, and can affect other body systems such as the kidney and brain.  Doxycycline is an antibiotic that treats tick borne disease and also has an anti-inflammatory component.