A general kidney failure regimen for dogs includes:
1.Hills K/D Canine prescription diet or Royal Canin Renal Failure diets (or other prescription failure diet)
2. Epakitin, Phos-Lo or other phosphate binder if there is high phosphorus levels in the blood.
3. Azodyl which helps relieve the body of excess kidney enzyme blood levels via the digestive tract.
4. Additional probiotics to help maximize GI function.
5. Sub Cutaneous fluid therapy to be administered at home
6. Frequent urinalysis to treat any Urinary tract infections and treatment with antibiotics if any are found.
8. Chinese herbal Formulas for kidney failure, such as Eight Gentleman.
9. Appetite Stimulants if the patient has decreased eating. These can be alternative or non-alternative medications.
10. Erythropoietin supplementation if there is secondary anemia
11. Stem Cell Therapy
Stem Cell therapy is currently being investigated for use in kidney failure. Autologous stem cell therapy which is currently being performed in numerous veterinary hospitals, including my own, is currently advocated for musculoskeletal treatments.
For more personal recommendations please post again with details about your pet. Thanks! Dr. Cheng
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.