Holistic Care For Pets Community
Masticatory Myositis

This community is for questions and support regarding holistic care for your pets.

Masticatory Myositis

My homepathic vet does not know what is wrong with my 8 yr old golden retriever Chester. I have been googling and I am pretty sure he has Masticatory Myositis.  He cant open mouth, eyes sunk in, head looks caved in around bones.  He looks like a different dog.  He doesnt seem to be in any pain and is happy. I feed him small pieces of dog food between his teeth and he swallows it whole.  My vet said the x-ray looked like his jaw is fused shut. That the bones and muscles are calcified. I printed out some info and showed him, he said he has never heard of it. He wants to put him under and scrape the bones. I dont want to go that route yet though.  I asked him to give me a natural prednisone and he gave me a natural cortisone.  I just got it tonight. My vet told suggested I take him to Cornel University.  I can not afford that. My vet is the only homepathic vet around here but he doesnt know how to help me. I want to stick with homepathic but I have to Chester help soon, I may have to go somewhere else. Can my dogs mouth open again? Would I know if he was in pain? What can I tell my vet to do? Please help us.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
THello
I am very sorry to hear about your dog.
First of all, I want to be sure you are aware that Vetsulin has been recalled and the current recommendation is to stop using this immediately and have your vet give you a prescription for insulin, which is available at just about any pharmacy.

Therapeutic rationale for treatment of this is geared to reduce inflammation without using prednisone or other steroids.

Traditional Chinese Medicine dictates that Masticatory myositis often appears to be caused by Blood deficiency. An herbal formula that may be used for this is Bu Gan Tang (Nourish the Liver Decoction). Patients that benefit from this usually have no or minimal evidence of spleen compromise or dampness changes (mucoid stools, very gassy).
Jia Wei Si Wu Tang (Augmented Four Materials Decoction) may also be beneficial for this condition on older dogs like yours. The starting dose of granular concentrate is 60mg per pound of body weight or approximately 1/4 teaspoon per 15 pounds of body weight divided into 2 daily doses.

Acupuncture is a very important part of the treatment of masticatory myositis!
Points to consider include LIV 3 and SP 6 to nourish Blood and Yin, LI 4 to regulate the face, and St 6 and BL 7. The practitioner should also consider BL 17, BL 18, ST 36 and CV 12 to help engender Liver Blood. Other useful points are ST 7 and ST 10.

Antioxidants naturally help to reduce inflammation. They are both beneficial and safe for this condition and are recommended to be used along with Acupuncture and Chinese herbs.

Carnitine, Vitamin E and Selenium are the three anti-oxidanmts that have proven to be helpful for many cases of masticatory myositis in dogs. A therapeutic trial of an antioxidant combination is safe and warranted. A product currently available, that is a natural, safe, patented antioxidant combination called VitaLife may be a valid consideration for  your dog.

I hope this information is helpful to you and if I can offer any other suggestions, it would be my pleasure.

Thank you,
Dr. Carol Osborne, DVM