Swollen neck (both soft AND firm) in older Shih Tzu
Great site! I am very concerned -- I have a 16 year old Shih Tzu. Just out of the blue I noticed a large FIRM lump underneath his jaw on the left side. Also there is a lot of swelling (softer) & bruising under the center of his chin. The rest of the neck *seems like* it is hot to the touch.

He is paper trained & occasionally he steps in his poop, but we are careful about cleaning off his paws. Wasn't sure if he got an infection after scratching his neck. I am also thinking (after researching a little) that this is either a swollen salivary gland or a lymph node issue (as well as maybe a tooth abscess.)

Any ideas or thoughts? Will this go away on its own? I've been giving him antibiotics (had some left over from my other dog just a year ago & they are weight appropriate) & also doing warm compresses. Thanks so much!

This discussion is related to Swollen Lymph Node in Neck.
Did you ever find out what this was?  It does almost sound like a swollen lymph node.