Holistic Care For Pets Community
Yeast infection ear/dog

This community is for questions and support regarding holistic care for your pets.

Yeast infection ear/dog

My vet, who we have taken 23 years worth of animals to, will not let us make payments to help our dog who has a yeast infection in his ears and which seems to be spreading to the other creatures who allow us to live here. My dog is a rescued shepard/sheltie cross. He had been shot, beaten, legs broken and starved, then tossed into a snow covered field to wait for death to find him. Fortunately, a kindhearted farmer found him first.
He is the sweetest dog on earth and before God I can tell you my husband and I have never raised a hand or our voices against him. (Well, he did get a bit of a talkin' to when we brought the day old chicks home and he snacked on a few) But we did NOT hit him.
A neighbor gave us some stuff (Genitzol???) that she had for her dog when it had yeast, but there was very little left and our vet won't give us any without seeing the dog first and the med cost $50 dollars, so it's not an option.
We have been trying to just very gently squirt warm water in his ears, hoping we could wash some of the infection out or at least help stop his misery, but the instant we touch his ears he begins to shake and cry and whine and it breaks our hearts and I'm just begging for somebody to help us help him.
To show you how desperate I am, I am wondering if the yeast in Axels ears is the same yeast that women get so often and could we use an OTC women's product like Vagasi (?) or whatever is out there?
I'm really not a crazy person, but when my animals are suffering and I can't help and someone like our EX vet turns his back on us, I guess I do go a bit cranky.
Thanks so much
Linda    
If you have a health food store nearby try some frankinsence essential oil. You can also try helichrysum, melaluca, oregano, thyme essential oils.  All of these work really well for clearing yeast/fungus.  At least in my experience.  Don't do the vagisil. :)  Fungal and/or yeast infections in the ear can make them extremely tender to touch, even around the ear itself.  Hope your dog feels better.
The responses are a bit tardy, I hope you have found a way to a cure.

Yeast infections of the skin, including around ears and even in the open areas of the ears (not for flooding the internal channels) can be treated with a medicated shampoo containing ketoconazole 1 or 2%.  This is available at the pet counter of my local Walmart.  Even it is expensive, about $10, but that much would wash the areas in question for 6 months.  Note the shampoo has to soak on the skin for 10 minutes, then rinsed.  I use a wash cloth to do my dog's ears, he also gets a full body shampoo a couple of times a month, with the same soap.  If the infection is internal I believe it can be treated only with a prescription antibiotic.

Good luck, and thanks for help the mistreated dog.
The Walmart in my area fills prescriptions for pets.  When your vet prescribes medication for your pet ask your vet to write a prescription instead.  I got two medications from her that cost almost $100, and when I checked with Walmart they would have filled them for less than $25 for both prescriptions.
I did the same thing. Mixed lots of essential oils of sage, oregano etc. Sprayed to the ear. Seems much much better. Without washing it with peroxide... he was so not liking it...