Holistic Care For Pets Expert Forum
azodyl

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Holistic Care. Questions will be answered by a veterinarian.

azodyl

I'm having a hard time giving LittleBit  the azodyl caps. What is the reason for not being able to open the caps and mixing it with her food, or dissolving it in water and use an eye dropper. This would be the ideal way for me to give her the azodyl. It is very important that she gets this medication.

Thanks,
                                                                                          mike57188

Type of Animal
:  
cat
Age of Animal
:  
14yrs
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
domestic longhair
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
February 03, 2010
City
:  
Perry
State/Province
:  
Georgia
Blood Test Results
:  
renal failure
Hello Mike,

The reason you should not open the Azodyl capsules is that they are "enteric coated".  This means that the pill is intended to release its contents in the intestines where the medication is active.  

The capsules are large and the difficulty of administering Azodyl to cats is a common problem.  The manufacturer has said that the only way to guarantee the efficacy of Azodyl is oral administration;  however, based on anecdotal evidence, they did mention that if the capsules are opened and placed on food they recommend giving a double dose.  Therefore you CAN open the Azodyl capsules and place them on food, but just use a double dose.  

You could also try following administration of a capsule orally with a delicious treat that your cat finds irresistible, such as a small piece of chicken.  I have found that once a cat realizes that a reward is forthcoming, he/she may become more tolerant.  

A related discussion, stone in urinary tract was started.
A related discussion, azodyl was started.