Holistic Care For Pets Expert Forum
ginkgo biloba for cats
About This Forum:

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Holistic Care. Questions will be answered by a veterinarian.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

ginkgo biloba for cats

After taking my cat to the vet for her annual check-up I noticed some strange behavior.  She walks around the house and yowls very loudly like someone is hurting her.  If I call her name, she usually stops, looks at me and then comes to me.  Just fine, like nothing ever happened.  She has been taking Cosequin sprinkle-tabs for 6 or 7 years for arthritis and other than the yowling, seems to be very healthy, especially for going on 17 in a few months!  I asked my vet about this in passing when I had my dog in for an exam and she said it was an early sign of dementia and senility.  She suggested that I try ginkgo biloba and she said that the dosage amount doesn't matter because any unused by the body is excreted.  I looked up the usage of ginkgo biloba for cats and it sounds like there have been some both favorable and unfavorable results.  I would like to know what your opinion is concerning this matter.  I have been looking to see if I can find a liquid ginkgo supplement to add to her canned food.  She doesn't eat dry food and is terrible to get pills down!  If there is a liquid ginkgo biloba supplement out there for cats, how much would you suggest that I give her?  She only weighs between 6 and 7 pounds.
Type of Animal
:  
cat
Age of Animal
:  
16 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
domestic longhair
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
April 13, 2009
City
:  
Grand Haven
State/Province
:  
Michigan
Blood Test Results
:  
Blood profile results came back great except for she has mild pancreatitis and was perscribed Royal Canin IDV canned food for a week afterward.
Other pertinent test results
:  
After urinalysis and sedimentation test, our vet concluded that she had a urinary tract infection and was prescribed Clavamox.