Holistic Care For Pets Expert Forum
toxicity, tremors

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Holistic Care. Questions will be answered by a veterinarian.

toxicity, tremors

Hi, my vet prescribed Azodyl.  An herbalist recommended several things I mix with her food:  Dandelion, echinacea, neem, Burdock Root, Eleuthero, astragalus, ginger, nettles, oregon grape root, probiotic blend, alfalfa, gotu kola, chia seed, rhemania root.  Sadly her skin is badly irritated due to fleas.  Two weeks ago used a flea shampoo once, Hartz with the toxic chemicals, she started tremoring.  Vet recommended washing her with Dawn.  Tremors have reduced, though now she appears to be a bit demented, still lethargic, and in the past week stomach bloated.  Before the Azodyl (2 weeks now) she drank a ton of water and peed excessively.  That has stopped.  She is very constipated.  I have refrained from using any chemicals again to treat the fleas.  Put down diatomaceous earth all over the house a week ago but doesn't seem to be helping.  Give the cat baths with vinegar and an herbal flea remedy.  What is causing the bloating and dementia?  Any suggestions for getting rid of the fleas?
Type of Animal
:  
cat
Age of Animal
:  
13 or 14
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
longhair
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 28, 2010
City
:  
Hampton Falls
State/Province
:  
New Hampshire
Blood Test Results
:  
Anemia, High BUN and Creatinine=kidney failure
X-Ray Results
:  
n/a
"Flea Busters" is an excellent and fairly safe premise treatment available at Amazon.com and other locations online.

Capstar is an oral medication, which is safe and over the counter to eliminate the fleas on your cat in addition to topical "Revolution" or other topical monthly flea and tick preventative.  

I am a holistic vet but I do resort to non-alternative anti-flea and tick products because unfortunately, there is no equivalent holistic anti-flea and tick treatment that is as effective.  One treatment that is a helpful adjunctive anti-flea treatment is : Flea Free from the Naturalpetrx company (available by prescription from your vet).  It is worth a try.

I am assuming that you washed your cat with a flea shampoo that contained pyrethrin.  Pyrethrin is toxic to many cats and is treated with the drug Methocarbamol and by bathing the cat to eliminate the pyrethrin that has not had a chance to become absorbed.  Since the toxicity occurred two weeks ago it is probably too late for Methocarbamol.  Pyrethrin is neurotoxin and causes tremors and seizures.  The toxin is eliminated by the liver and kidneys.  Since your cat has depleted kidney function it may take longer for the toxin to be eliminated or there may be some residual damage causing the dementia.  I recommend that your cat have a neurological exam and repeat bloodwork to determine the extent of her injuries.

The bloat may simply be due to constipation. Daily sub-cutaneous fluid therapy may help with the constipation by hydrating the gut and colon, and thereby adding fluid to the stool making it soft and easier to pass.  Sub-cutaneous fluid therapy would also help with the kidneys.