Holistic Care For Pets Expert Forum
treatment for hot spots

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Holistic Care. Questions will be answered by a veterinarian.

treatment for hot spots

I have a white golden retriever/yellow lab mix dog.  He has had trouble with hot spots.  In the last visit with the vet., she recommended treating the spots with the Chinese herb coptis in powder form.  I'm willing ti do it, but finding this product in a store is hard.  Looking for suggested places to find this herb to try on my dog's feet
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
7 yrs
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Lab/retriever mix
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
September 20, 2009
City
:  
Orange
State/Province
:  
VA
Country
:  
USA
Blood Test Results
:  
liver results a bit in the abnormal range...but a leftover condition from the dog having licked off a steroid powder from hot spots on his feet  
X-Ray Results
:  
slightly enlarged splene

I have called around to friends in the area that use homeopathic products and no one has seen this particular herb.  I wish I could have been of more help.  Keeping the hot spot clipped and clean to allow the air to get to the lesion will help the healing process.

Good luck finding the herb.
The correct name is Huang Lian in Chinese and Coptis Powder in English.  It is one of the most bitter non-toxic nutritive substance's known.

Online, most of the Coptis supplement's available are in teapill form which is not powdered.  You could use the capsule form if available and open the capsules to apply Coptis topically.  

If you have difficulty finding it online please have your veterinarian order it for you  from Dr. Xie's Jing Tang Herbal Company (google it online).  Jing Tang Herbal only sells to veterinarians with a prescription.

Your dog may also benefit from the product: Four Paws Damp Heat, also available from Jing Tang Herbal Company.  And no,  I am not affiliated with this company.