Horses & Large Animals Community
Does anyone knoe anything about different types of equine worms

Welcome to the Horses & Large Animals Forum!
This forum is for questions and support regarding your horses and other large pets!

Hello, I'm new here.  To get to the point:  I wormed all of my horses the other day.  The next day, I went to check on my horses and noticed one of the mares while taking a pooh.  I looked at it.  There were several little red worms that closely resembeled red wiggelers used for fishing.  I wasn't concerend, I figured the wormer was doing its job and getting rid of the worms.  The next day, yesterday, I went out that morning (I live on the ranch with the horses, so I"m always with them) and noticed the same mare pooh again.  I looked to see if there was a decrease in the amount of worms.  There was (:-).  Just one.  But... I found another type that did concern me.  It was short (about 3/4"), very fat, and bright pink, almost "hot" pink.  It was shapped kind of like a wolve that you would find in a dog or cat, but it wasn't a wolve.  It had one blunt end and one tappered end.  The tappered end had some sort of "feelers?" on it. (for lack of a better word.)  They looked like they had motor function, like that was what the worm used to move.  All in all, it looked like a verry nasty little thing, and there was only one of them.  Here are the questions:  Does anyone know what this is?  AND:  Should there be more coming out considering today is day 3 after the worming?  I've spent most of ysterday and part of today trying to find it online, but to no avail.  Thanks in advance.
Not totally up on what each parasite actually looks like,but it seems your mare was probably pretty loaded with them...varying kinds.  As you probably know, different kinds of wormers work on different kinds of parasites...some better than others.  Some parasites are more prevalent in certain parts of the country than others.  I would definitely consult with your vet to get his advice on what wormers would be given when, and tell him about your observation!