Horses & Large Animals Community
EPM HORSE...Please help!!!!!

Welcome to the Horses & Large Animals Forum!
This forum is for questions and support regarding your horses and other large pets!

EPM HORSE...Please help!!!!!

My horse was just tested for EPM. The Western Blot came back positive for EPM exposure, my vet assured me this didnt neccesarily mean that my 24 y/o TB has the disease, he said we would have to look at the clinical signs and make a judgement and if need be transport him to the university and have a spinal tap done. He has all of the signs of EPM the head down the dragging of the rear hind legs the spinning and not being able to stand for long periods of time he leans against the feed shed and anything else he can lean on.  I do not want him to have a spinal tap done hes old and I want to do everything possible to avoid it. I have found this "miracle" supplement called Sefacon.That is 100% natural according to all the websites I have looked at state that there is a 100% recovery rate thus far, they also posted testimonals but you can never be sure if they are real. Please someone help me here, Hes just not gaining weight and he DESPERATLY needs to before the winter hes almost 17 hands and 938 lbs he's skinny I need all the advice I can get. At this point I am open to any suggestions!!!! thank you SOOOOO MUCH!!!!
I am sorry to hear about your horse...it is tragic...and the weight he is for his height is really  low.  I would follow your vet's advice...but, in reality, if it were my horse, I would take it to the University Vet Clinic (or whatever nearby full equine facility..where are you located?) for a second opinion anyway....ASAP. I would suggest this before giving the horse any supplements or meds without vets approval and a firm diagnosis. I attended a lecture by one of the top vets at Rood and Riddle about neurological diseases in horses...and I can tell you that some signs can resemble each other.  Best to get the best diagnosis you can pronto.

Please keep us posted.
I have a 20 year old mare he got EPM about fours years ago she went on all the drugs that the doctor proscribe, but she was still skinny. So i kept her blanketed and put her on suplments, that seemed to help. about two yaers ago I invested in the game ready unit for my stallions bowed tendons, and decided to try it on her. She has gained tons of wieght and is thriving. her spinal mucels have relax and she still get tired when out in the pasture for a while, but she looks like her normal self agin. The game ready unit is rather expensive but you can lease it for periods of time through Schiders Saddlery.
I agree w/ all the stuff said here however please be sure to take your horses quality of life into consideration. I have seen so many horses (usually older)suffer for months or even years while there loving owners(really nice people) struggle to diagnois,  and treat their issues. I have also seen many people put themselves into incredible dept putting horrible strain on their families. Only you know what is right for your horse. I can understand not wanting to tramatize an oldie w/ a spinal tap. Search and try, get a second opinion, try different feed but if you deside that his time has come be brave, and decisive and do whats best for your horse and your family. Also don't let anyone make you feel bad about it either. I truely hope you find resolution to your horses problem EPM or othrwise.Good luck and God bless.