Horses & Large Animals Community
Help with how to help my horse gain weight

Welcome to the Horses & Large Animals Forum!
This forum is for questions and support regarding your horses and other large pets!

I have a 30 year old galding, that has bad teeth, he eats but when he chews grass or hay he will spit it out.
I am currently feeding him sweetfeed and regular grain feed twice a day, I have spoke to a vet and they say that my horse is just old, there has to be something we can do any suggestions would be appriciated!
If he spits out hay or grass, this could mean that his teeth need floating.  The teeth need to remain flat to be able to grind, and if they are long with points, grinding cannot take place, food will be spit out or dropped, and so the horse will not ingest food.  Please have your vet "float" his teeth or find a qualified equine dentist to do so.
Ok... Just my topic
Ok first of you need to chek under the doc of his tail and his stomach for lumbs or sists tht maybe white... This could mean ur horse may have cancer... If thats the case u may have to make the hard decision of putting him down... But i also suggest you feedbur horse beat pulp... Mix it in woth hos sweet feed... Read the instructions to soak the pulp overnight its soft and easy to eat and digest... I hoPe this helps u and answeres ur question