Horses & Large Animals Community
Horses Eye

Welcome to the Horses & Large Animals Forum!
This forum is for questions and support regarding your horses and other large pets!

Horses Eye

Sorry.. the below write up was mine.. i just did the subject wrong..
My horse is an AQHA yearling stud colt..  For 4 months now he has had a shut running eye.. Somedays it is open and fine and others it is shut and watery..  I took him to the vet and she thought it was a blocked tear duct so they flushed it through his nose.. it was better for about 3 weeks and now the same thing is going on.. Any suggestions?
A few years ago my horse had the the same thing.What I ended up doing is getting a clean wash cloth,wetting it and cleaning out his eye.Then putting a antibiotic ointment that you can get over the counter called " Terramycin " in the eye.Now every time one of my horses eyes get swolen or red I just clean it out and put this ointment in it.This stuff works you should try it!
I used to use Golden Eye Ointment which can be bought from the pharmacy, and you can also try using cold tea - just make it with no sugar or milk, put it in the fridge, and then bathe the eye with it.  It may sound strange,but it really does work for sore eyes.  Good luck
My horse has a kind of yellow mucus coming out of his right eye.  It just started this week.  It is slightly closed.  My husband flushed it with saline solution yesterday, but it seems worse today.  I thought of taking him to the vet,  but if there is something I can do it would be a lot easier than having to load him up to go to the vet.  

Anyone have any suggestions, or comments.  

Lynn
My best guess would be that your horse is experiencing 'Dry Eye', a condition in which the tear ducts are not working properly. With nothing left to lubricate the eye, yellow mucus can result along surface of the eye. It is common in all animals (there's a lovely site HERE (http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_kcs__dry_eye_.html) which goes into the particulars for it, if you are interested). Because there are many different reasons why this may be occurring, and because there is a risk of blindness if it persists, you should definitely at least CALL your vet and tell him specifically what you are seeing. It'd be a silly thing to have to take him to the vet for. Is there no vet in your area that makes farm calls?
Thanks for your comments.  The vet did come out today and looked at my horse's eye.  It was an small absess (abscess) caused by something getting in it.  The vet put an antibiotic in his eye, which has to be done twice a day for 5 days.  He said so far there is no blindness, but he has to be treated with the meds regularly to avoid any more trauma to his eye.  

Thanks again for your comments.

Our pony has one eye his left one that in a matter of a few hours swelled shut and has a clear white drainage. i have tried to wash it out and the most he will let me do is put a warm cloth on it. and clean the stuff off of it, it is getting more swollen every day and the red membranes are swollen together. i started putting saline drops in it today and some lubricant on it . A neighbor told me that it is probablly an irritation but i am worried about it. thank you
Try tea bagging the eye. If this problem has been going on for a long time, I would definetly call the vet
Hi I am new to this forum and wonder if anyone can help me. We have a 21 month old colt and got him as a rescue case at 5 months old.  We have managed to bring him back to full health except for his eyes.  When we got him he had swollen eyes with tears running down his face and a yellow mucus coming out.  The vet gave us chloroptsone ointment to try,  and it worked, but every time we stopped the ointment it came straight back.  The vet found the bootom eye lids were inverted to operated on his eyes and took a slither of skin out so the lashes wouldn't rub on his eyes and irritate them.  After the operation he was fine for a while then got conjuntivitis, he also sent photos of his eyes to a horse eye specialist in sydney and he said there was nothing more they could do, since then he has been on  the ointment full time and if not given at least once a day his eyes swell and are running,  If any one has any ideas please let me know, it is a pain as we can't go away or leave him at the paddock with the other horses he has to stay on our 2 acres and be treated all the time so does get to be a horse