Horses & Large Animals Community
My horse is bony looking too?

Welcome to the Horses & Large Animals Forum!
This forum is for questions and support regarding your horses and other large pets!

My horse is bony looking too?

My 15 year old gelding has lost probably 150 lbs in the last year.  We're thinking cancer is a possibility, but he's got a voracious apatite and seems fine otherwise. He just looks bony. Our vet just floated his teeth but wasn't real optimistic that that alone would turn things around. The horse paces a lot... from boredom I guess. Feeding time is what he lives for even though he gets out and is not neglected. We also have a mare with him, but she is not the dominant horse... he is. They get alfalfa and grass hay and he gets a Purina supplement. The mare is fat and he is bony. He's never been sick and has always been an easy keeper. Any ideas out there. I'm curious how the other horses in this discussion have done over time.
Since you have had your vet out, I applaud you for getting a professional opinion. but I will also mention a couple of other things....what about worming?  Is his worming routine up to date?  When you feed, does the mare get more than he does, or does she puch him away and get at any of his hay/grain? How much hay/grain are you feeding him?  What kind of grain are you feeding him? Let me know...and also...if no feeding/health adjustments work, he may need to have some bloodwork taken.
Thanks for responding. We've had both on a routine for worming... changing the medicine every other time and we've even given him an extra dose of another in between. As I mentioned, he is the dominant horse. Our mare actually gets less hay and no grain or supplements. He gets Purina Ultium  which is a high calorie supplement designed for race horses, I guess. The vet suggested it. Blood work is in works.
To add to my last comment... they are fed 3 times a day a good sized flake of alfalfa morning and night and grass mid-day. Probably 20+ lbs each per day. The Purina doesn't seem to be doing much so will probably stop that. We're going broke trying to fatten him up. They both don't get enough exercise and have both always been a little porky until he started losing weight. He still has a lot of energy but has always been spirited with a need to be in the lead riding... always had to hold him back. He's registered Arabian/Paint.  The mare is quarter horse/paint and really stocky. We've had them both for 7 years. She is 11 years old.