Horses & Large Animals Community
Tranquilizer for Bear Accessible to General Public

Welcome to the Horses & Large Animals Forum!
This forum is for questions and support regarding your horses and other large pets!

I have a friend who lives on top of a mountain, and he has a problem with this one old bear destroying his chicken coop. He has tried several times contacting animal control to come get this persistant old bear, but by the time they get to his remote location, the bear is gone.

What he would like to do is shoot the bear with a tranquilizer from a air-compression tranq gun he has purchased. Unfortunately, he is not a licensed vet (nor I for that matter!) so he is unable to get anything strong enough (like an opiate-based formula) that would be fast and effective.

That being said, is there an effective, slow-acting, OVER-THE-COUNTER tranquilizer that can be fired from a gun at a bear?
I would not recommend taking this into one's own hands. Bears are considered protected species in most locales,and given that or not, there are laws that protect against harming native wildlife.  This could mean criminal action.  I would continue to defer to the local humane agency/animal control.  Until that time, while you cannot move the chickens in, be sure to put up all foods, grains, garbage cans, food lefovers, etc during the night and non-busy times of the day. This will help deter the bear since it is food he is after.