Horses & Large Animals Community
White hoof stuff?

Welcome to the Horses & Large Animals Forum!
This forum is for questions and support regarding your horses and other large pets!

White hoof stuff?

My throughbreds hoofs are white and crumbly on the inside. not the frog, just everything else.
It is only when I scrape at it with a hoof pick
Is your horse pastured in a wet area?  Mud, wet, or wet stall?  Is there any black color gunk when you pick his hooves?  Is there an odor to the hoof, especially when you pick the hoof?  It may be that your horse has a fungal/bacterial infection such as Thrush. This can come about in moist environments, living in a paddock where manure it not removed daily, or not picking the hooves daily.  The horse's foot conformation could also be set up to hold moisture therefore contributing to the problem  Please let me know the answers to my questions and I can better help you.  Have you had a vet look at it yet?
It is not Thrush. No black or odor. But he is in a wet and muddy pasture, and his hoof is picked one to two times a day.
I would say that his pasture would be a perfect breeding ground for him to have Thrush, but at this point, if he does not have it, I would say that the moisture is softening his hooves which is resulting in the white stuff you see when you pick.  Imagine your hands in water after a long bath...how soft and funky your skin and nails become, and at some point, sloughing would begin.  If you could get his pasture drier, or move him to a drier location, it would be best for his hooves in the long run.
Thank you that helps allot!!!!!!!!!!!